cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant connect to internet --- but PN says I am ??

davebear

Cant connect to internet --- but PN says I am ??

Hi  Sad  Sad  Cry
Hope someone here can help
Today I lost my connection to the internet ( red light fault showing on Linksys router )  After calling PN support who walked through all basic account setting they suggested i reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.
This was duly done several times but no improvement. Finaly decided to swap out router for a new one, this time a Belkin. After setting up ... same problem ! Odly in both cases the dsl light was green and showed connected. Checking settings via the web browser the new router show an established DSL link with expected speeds etc. But no internet
Couldnt ping or tracert anything on WAN.  Rang PN again and went through all settings. They could see I was connected but we just couldnt ping anything ... either IP addresses or resolved names
All Firewalls are switched off and no changes other than new router. All browser and network settings checked by myself and PN. No problems. ( IE Explorer, Windows XP )
Same problem exists on a wireless laptop so its unlikely to be settings on PC.
Any suggestions ?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Cant connect to internet --- but PN says I am ??

Welcome aboard
gary
Grafter

What does an 'ipconfig' show from a windows command promt? [Start > run > cmd > enter > black box > issue 'ipconfig'] can you 'ping' the same ip listed as the default gateway from command promt? If so .. can you ping a Plusnet DNS server e.g. ping 212.159.6.10 ?
gary
Grafter

Just re-read your post .... and checked your connection logs ... The router is connected!
Depending on what you get back from a ping to the router and a ping to PN DNS server might I suggest MTU settings on the router/PC. I once saw a bug with a Belkin router whereby if the MTU on the PC was 1500 or above the router fragmented all the packets which resulted in no data transfer.
long shot but worth a poke in the dark Smiley
madjbright
Grafter

Is it possible that someone else knows your ID / PW and is logged on using it at the moment? That would explain why PN think that you are logged on but you don't
davebear

Hi all
Thanks for the suggestions.  Odd thing ... following day ( after no changes my side ) this has started working ...
Not sure what to conclude
Thanks anyway
James
Grafter

Hi Dave,
As a precaution, it may be an idea to change your password.
prichardson
Grafter

On inspection, there is no immediate cause for concern or need to do that.
Multiple session problems only occur when the same IP is shared between two connections. As the IP can only be used and routed to a single location, the second connection simply receives no data.
As each connection here receives a new IP, they will route regardless.
I see no reason why this would fail to work, though I can see the connection was not sending us any data internet bound, resulting in an idle timeout. It was clearly able to pass data though, given it could pass authentication.