Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant access a website that I use regularly

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Cant access a website that I use regularly

PN normally charge £5 for a fixed IP.

Perhaps they should invoice SystmOnline each time they have to do this to fix SystmOnlines problem!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jondm12
Hooked

I agree, however the best chance of getting this 'fixed' quickly is to see if plus net can help. I have a contract with them, SO doesnt have to do anything, certainly not quickly. Also makes you wonder if we are getting restricted or slower access to other sites that have not updated their ip range data. If I must pay the 5 to get a static ip then I will do that. 

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Plusnet don't have to do anything - they have provided you with a fully working connection with an IP which is correctly recorded as being in the UK. It's SO who are at fault. If Plusnet do a work around for you you should be grateful for them going above and beyond their responsibility.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jondm12
Hooked

Where have I been ungrateful? I asked nicely, plus net can refuse. Who needs trolls when mods are so self righteous and harrass someone who would just like to be able to access a website?
jondm12
Hooked

I have ordered the static ip. I will restart my router later and hopefully this will resolve my issue.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@jondm12 wrote:

I agree, however the best chance of getting this 'fixed' quickly is to see if plus net can help. I have a contract with them, SO doesn't have to do anything, certainly not quickly. Also makes you wonder if we are getting restricted or slower access to other sites that have not updated their ip range data. If I must pay the 5 to get a static ip then I will do that. 

You can of course pay for a fixed IP address as you wish to circumvent SO's (and other websites') failures, but ultimately there is a limit on the number of fixed IP addresses available.

You do have a contract with Plusnet and not SO, but that does not relocate the responsibility for resolving this issue to Plusnet.  As @jelv said, Plusnet have provided you with a working service and in your case a relocated IP address which many geolocation data providers locate correctly as being in the UK.

However on the flip side, SO are the creator of this issue as they are...

1. Applying geolocation access restrictions where there is no valid business case for doing so - in fact it could be argued that their unnecessary restriction is inhibiting legitimate use of the service from overseas by returning patients in urgent need of appointments or new prescriptions - there is no good reason why they should not be able to do this from overseas
  2. Taking geolocation data from a provider who (compared to others) is not competent to get the location information correct
  3. Not updating said data frequently enough to take advantage of any processing improvement achieved by their supplier resulting out of any action Plusnet might have been able to apply

What more words can be used to get people to understand that this issue is NOT of PlusNet's making nor in their domain to resolve?

Note this SO is not IPv6 enabled, so even though IPv6 is not without the same issues, even if PN had an IPv6 offer, it still would not fix SO's self inflicted problems.

Want to make a real difference here?

Go lobby SO - just because its "OK for others" does not absolve them (or the GP practices using the service) from addressing the clearly identified failing.  The articulation of this being "SO are blocking my access because I have been given a 'USA' (actually ex-USA) IP address" is the wrong argument; the correct stance is "SO are applying geolocation access restrictions where there is no need AND taking geolocation data from providers who appear to be incapable of delivering clean data ... consequently with my UK based IP address I cannot access the service - please go fix".

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jondm12
Hooked

I have restarted my router and can now access the SO site. I don't blame plusnet for this and don't mind paying the fiver for the static ip. This is completely SO's fault, I just don't want to wait for them to fix it... 

Mart1
Hooked

I have been using Systemonline provided by my Surgery for medical prescriptions, appointments etc. for many years. For a few weeks I have been unable to use the service because the web address appears to be blocked from my home.  If I join a neighbours WiFi network with my MacBook I get straight in.

It has been a very frustrating period trying to eliminate all possible causes from my end until I found this community.

Is there any practical solution or must we wait for Systemonline to solve the problem.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi @Mart1,

A warm welcome to the forums.

Personally I would not wait for So to do something.  Instead I would seek to complain very firmly to your GP practice manager.

Explain to them that SO have irrationally placed geographic access restrictions on users, by using something called "IP address geolocation data" obtained from a data provider who seems incapable of supplying accurate information.  Consequently SO believes that your internet IP address is in the USA.

Advise the GP practice manager that there is no need for such restrictions and that as a supplier to your GP, they need to tell SO to get the issue fixed promptly.

Be sure that you speak with the GP practice manager - reception staff will not even begin to understand the problem will seek to fob you off ... just in the same way that they believe they know better than you if you really need to see a doctor.  Be sure you speak to someone in authority.  If you get no where with the GP practice then go up one layer in the local health care group.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gregshaw
Rising Star

@Mart1 wrote:

I have been using Systemonline provided by my Surgery for medical prescriptions, appointments etc. for many years. For a few weeks I have been unable to use the service because the web address appears to be blocked from my home.  If I join a neighbours WiFi network with my MacBook I get straight in.

It has been a very frustrating period trying to eliminate all possible causes from my end until I found this community.

Is there any practical solution or must we wait for Systemonline to solve the problem.

This is exactly what I (and others) have been through.

The solution is to get a fixed IP from PlusNet. It does cost £5.00 but it will sort out your problem instantly.

There is an argument about where the fault lies, I can understand both sides, but that does not solve the problem in the short term. Buy yourself a fixed IP whilst you can still get them!  It WILL sort your problem

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Everyone resorting to fixed IP addresses solely to fix a third party’s failing will result in such addresses being exhausted. Please will those impacted go shout at those causing the issue - website providers who impose access restrictions where none are needed and do so using poor quality data.

Nemo2000
Grafter

With respect to those others posting on here, but many of you seem to be re-visiting the same arguments.

If I can recap from my experience:-

1. I responded to the request from Kelly for user IDs from affected users. I gave her mine, she arranged for me to have a static IP on a temporary basis until the problem is fixed. I'm happy with that service.

2. I was a little less happy with the response from Plus tech support to my original ticket (before I found this forum thread), who seemed at first not to be aware of the wider problem, and then took the "contact SO" approach. Some internal Plus 'sorting out' needed there!

3. I contacted my GP practice manager in the first instance - always start at the top! It took some 'persuading', but eventually they accepted that it was not just a problem at my end and have passed the matter 'up the chain'.

4. What one really needs to do IMHO is to find that part of the NHS hierarchy who actually placed the contract with SO for the use of their software. You need the 'client' to persuade the 'provider' that the service being delivered is not fit-for-purpose and/or conformant with the Requirements of their contract. Neither the individual patients nor their GP surgeries will have the authority/power to compel SO to make any changes, however much we may all shout about it.

gregshaw
Rising Star

@jondm12 wrote:

I agree, however the best chance of getting this 'fixed' quickly is to see if plus net can help. I have a contract with them, SO doesnt have to do anything, certainly not quickly. Also makes you wonder if we are getting restricted or slower access to other sites that have not updated their ip range data. If I must pay the 5 to get a static ip then I will do that. 

I understand exactly what you are saying, having just gone through this.

What I will say is that 24 hours later, my Internet access has never been better. INSTANT access to all sites, I was definitely having delays/restriction with sites using a geo-location filter (BBC Sport etc.) often having to refresh or wait for the page to load. That has now stopped. I would say that my previous IP (146.......) was being hindered and I was not receiving a proper Internet service from it.

Pay the fiver for a fixed IP -  IMHO it's worth it, no point in stressing about why or who's fault it is.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Agreed, but such a process will not start unless those impacted by the issue complain to this first layer up - their GP practice managers.

I am not affected by this issue, but I have already asked my practice if they use this system. If they do I will make representations - something everyone impacted must do. Thinking about this a few letters to MPs (another NHS IT male-fowl-up) would not go a miss.

gregshaw
Rising Star

Kelly has said PN are "working behind the scenes"

Surely, all that's required now that PN are aware of the problem, with some of their customers, is for PN to have direct communications with SO and agree upon a solution to the benefit of those people to whom they jointly provide the service.