Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant access a website that I use regularly

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Cant access a website that I use regularly

@MauriceC wrote:

@Baldrick1 wrote:

Either there needs to be one international database, which is unlikely to happen, or for there to be a migration to IPv6, this will take years. So any ISP that is expanding and having to get unused IPv4 addresses from overseas are going to have these problems, as are organisations that can't accept IPv6 connections.

Roll on IPv6!

Sadly IPv6 aint the cure either.

@MauriceC

Thanks for correcting me. In my innocence I assumed that there would be one authority who would allocate blocks of IPv6 addresses to nations. As there should be more than enough for every-one for the foreseeable future there would be no need for them to be traded between countries as stocks run low. Therefore the problem would disappear.

Obviously life cannot be this simple.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

IT? Simple?  Never, ever, ever in a million years, not while there are 'entities' that want control and people that just will not play nicely.  When I first got into this in the early days (punch cards etc.) things seemed complex, but as things have moved on and more is required of IT, things have become much more complicated.  It doesn't need to be this complicated but where there are vast amounts money to be made, especially for IT security and for the advertisers, things will alway be complicated or am I just a tuning into a cynical old git?  Meh, perhaps I'm just past my 'best before' date Wink

Live long and prosper!
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@gregshaw Are you still affected?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
gregshaw
Rising Star

@Kelly   YES - I can NOT access systmonline.

gregshaw
Rising Star

@Kelly

I was using the SO prescription service perfectly fine until my last holiday (September 2017) when my router was switched off for 16 days. Upon my return and powering up my router, everything was OK except for SO was not responding/timed out.

I presume now, that I had been allocated a new IP address.

We all now know the cause of this to be incorrect geo-location information between PN & SO.

As of this moment in time, absolutely nothing has changed in this respect, I can not access SO.

PlusNet and systmonline are both providing me with a service, for which I pay, however between them I am receiving no service at all in this case.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I suggest you contact your surgery and tell them about your difficulties and that you have been told it is because SystmOnline are using an incorrect/out of date lookup to determine if people are in the UK - ask the surgery to raise it with SystmOnline.

If SO get enough complaints they may eventually do something about it!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gregshaw
Rising Star

FIXED !!  Thanks @Kelly for sorting this out.

I rebooted my router as per PM from Kelly. Came back on with a completely different IP (80........)

Everything working super fast, systmonline BBC weather/sport/news etc.

All sites with an "interest" in my location (i.e UK) now working instantly, no faff, no delay.

The Forums work!

Also, got to say, PlusNet have actually resolved my issue - THANKYOU.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Are you now on a fixed IP?

gregshaw
Rising Star

@jelv   I don't know.

I have not asked for a Fixed IP.

Previously, rebooting my router did not change my IP.

My IP has now changed from 146....    to  80.....  and works brilliantly at the moment.

Kelly said that I will "keep the new IP until the issue with SO is resolved".........?

I have asked Kelly what will happen if I reboot my router in the future.

Nemo2000
Grafter

By all means try, but they may need some 'persuading', especially if you are the only patient of theirs with the problem.

Really you need to find the relevant NHS body which commissioned the use of SO at your surgery - probably the local Clinical Commission Group for your area - and lobby them. They are the 'client' of SO, not you, so should have more weight. Point out also that SO's 'validation' of IP addresses is rather pointless anyway if it can be circumvented simply by using anonymous proxy servers. 

jelv
Seasoned Hero

@gregshaw wrote:

@jelv   I don't know.

Have a look in https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection

gregshaw
Rising Star

@jelv wrote:

@gregshaw wrote:

@jelv   I don't know.

Have a look in https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection

@jelv  -  I have checked in my "member centre"  from your link and YES, it's there "Fixed IP"

So PN have indeed transferred me to a fixed IP, which does not have any geo-location problems.

Thanks

gregshaw
Rising Star

@jelv wrote:

I suggest you contact your surgery and tell them about your difficulties and that you have been told it is because SystmOnline are using an incorrect/out of date lookup to determine if people are in the UK - ask the surgery to raise it with SystmOnline.

If SO get enough complaints they may eventually do something about it!

I have got to say that the staff at my local surgery had absolutely zero interest in my problem and that they "have nothing to do with systmonline" and to contact them direct (SO). As repeat prescriptions from SO were reaching the surgery (apparently normally) the problem was obviously mine and SO was working as it should!

jondm12
Hooked

@Kelly

Hi, I have this issue too - unable to access SO.SI havh rebooted my router but no change in ip. Please can you apply the fix to my connection? Thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

PN have limited capacity to fudge this issue. Therefore SO need to be told to fix the issues THEY are causing. There is zero need for them to be implementing geolocation restrictions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.