Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant access a website that I use regularly

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Cant access a website that I use regularly

@adrianscotter Yes they are.  Those IPs currently come from blocks which are RIPE registered so shouldn't have this issue.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

wrote:

No problem, is it right Kelly, that a fixed IP is a one off £5.00?

Yes you can upgrade in the member centre see https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/understanding-your-ip-address/. You need to reboot your router to activate it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks Baldrick1,  I hadn't seen that post and it's very interesting so thank you for that (I know, I should get out more :))  

Live long and prosper!
adrianscotter
Pro

Thanks guys, I'm off to the member centre Smiley

Live long and prosper!
Kelly
Hero

@adrianscotter Just checking, but that will only help on this issue if you were seeing it while VPNing from the US back into your PN connection?

Kelly Dorset
adrianscotter
Pro

Thanks for that Kelly.  I personally don't care if I can't get to TPP, I've only ever used it once and if it didn't work, I'd call the doctors surgery on the phone, I'm old fashioned like that lol.  No, I have completely different reasons for the fixed IP and to be honest, I don't really care what country it says its in, I have other UK based fixed IP addresses I can log into via VPN if I really, really needed a UK IP.

Live long and prosper!
Nemo2000
Grafter

Well, I've been having the same problem for about a week now. I raised a ticket for it on my account before I came across this thread, but no-one told me that it was a known problem, and so far the only answer seems to be that "it is a problem at the far end" with the implication that Plusnet is not going to do any more about it. I've had several attempts to re-connect and get a different IP address, but without success as I keep being given the same 146. address each time.

Kelly
Hero

@Nemo2000 I've added you to our list.

Kelly Dorset
geebs

I did it - I bit the biscuit and went for a static IP.  

Done easily with a plusnet webchat.  Fiver on next month's bill. And no faffing about with the router apart from a restart

using  https://bearsmyip.com/  ....

My previous location was in California (not the one near Hemsby)  Now it's in Brentwood.

And we can order all the repeat prescriptions we like.  Hurrah!

Thanks @Baldrick1

Nemo2000
Grafter

Interesting - bearsmyip says that my current dynamic IP address (146......) is registered in the USA. Whois is says that it is UK registered to plusnet, but originates in the USA.

About time Plusnet and SystmOnline got their act together !

gregshaw
Rising Star

Wow, what a can of worms!

So a bigger problem than I thought,.

My IP is also in the 146..... range, I will send pm to Kelly.

I sometimes have problems with the BBC Sport/News/Weather Sites, I can understand why now.

Considering a static IP, but not sure I want the same address for evermore and thinking through what that could mean.

Nemo2000
Grafter

It gets worse...

The latest response from Plusnet support on my ticket is to the effect that, as the problem lies at theSystmOnline end, then Plusnet will do nothing and I need to contact SO to ask them to update their records !

On the other hand, my NHS practice tells me that SO ".....are unable to update ex USA or other IP addresses, due to legislation....", so I need to change my IP address!

So - stalemate and I've hit a brick wall as there seems to be no progress here. 

It would seem obvious that there IS a problem arising from Plus use of USA-registered addresses - could it not at least somehow 'flag' affected users to ensure that they are only allocated from bona-fide UK addresses?

Meanwhile, we continue to suffer loss of medical access from a problem NOT of our making.......NOT  happy !!!

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

It is up to SO to update their records, assuming that you're posting from the same connection I've checked the ip against various look ups and it's showing as the UK.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Nemo2000,

The problem here is that the same IP address can be reported as being is various locations by different IP geo data location providers.

Hence the problem is two-fold, neither of which is specifically Plusnet (the same failures occur for other ISPs as well).

1. Geo location data providers 'read' the same registration data differently and report inconsistent information: Plusnet has repeatedly sought to have then correct their failures, such corrections if applied seem only to last for a few months
  2. Users of Geo location data fail to regularly update their reference data, so corrections made by the providers are not getting through to the restricted applications.

It might also be suggested that much of the restrict by geo location practise is totally unnecessary and achieves nothing other than making it difficult for some legitimate users to access the service.

In this case SO (irrespective of their claims) are the 'guilty' party: they are implementing geo location access restrictions where there is no need AND they are using defective data to do so.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gregshaw
Rising Star

No further response from Kelly (PlusNet) but at least it's now clear what the problem is so I don't need to keep messing about with my PC or router settings. It's a stalemate with us in the middle. I can see both sides.

@Townman  has summed it up perfectly.

I have a workaround and understand the situation has nothing to do with me directly. I take some comfort that others are having the same difficulties and that the parties involved are aware.

As usual, it's us who pay for the services who are left with no service and the customer comes last!

We can't even blame Brexit!

I shall embrace my ever-changing geo-location as I surf the web.