Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant access a website that I use regularly

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Cant access a website that I use regularly

You know what - I'm guessing this is something someone at SystmOnline implemented ages ago and nobody there now knows how the block is done (or they haven't spoken to the right person).

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

I would imagine, as it's for the NHS that someone, somewhere insisted on having geo blocking initially, you know how OTT certain 'actors' can be over online security.  In saying that, it's so easy to circumvent, I really don't know why they bother...  all this grief over some piddly little NHS service Wink

Live long and prosper!
j4m3s
Fixes: 1

Hi - 

Just for info, this problem has cleared for me today. (I have a PlusNet 146.200.x.x address) 

I imagine the admins of systmonline.tpp-uk.com have updated the GEO/IP database they are using or have whitelisted the IP ranges that were being blocked.

It was useful to find this thread though, thanks!

Regards, 

Mart1
Hooked

Problem has gone for me also.  Thanks to Plusnet.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I'm glad to hear this has now been resolved.

Thank you all for your patience while this was causing you issues and thanks for coming back to let us know it's since been fixed Thumbs_Up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
adrianscotter
Pro

I have to say I'm a little surprised that PN got that involved with something that isn't their issue.  Well done PlusNet!  As they say on the ad, 'they'll do us proud' and in this instance, they have Smiley

I'm certainly one to, um, 'voice my concerns' when things don't go well, I'm also happy to say well done when people get it right and on this occasion it's a BIG well done to the forum members and the PN support team.

Live long and prosper!
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hi all, 

Yeah, just to confirm, we've an email from TPP today saying they've resolved the issue.   

We're removing the static IPs we put on accounts of affected people, so if you were affected by this originally, please restart your routers and confirm that on your new IPs you can now access the site?

Thank you for your patience with this.  Please get back in contact if you see anything similar!

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Kelly,

Did they say, are you able to share how the resolved this issue?

Is the nature of the resolution restricted to PN IP ranges or would the resolution benefit any ISP's customers using 'relocated' IP address ranges?

Personal reason for asking is that I have already raised this issue with my GP practice - not that I (or for sure they) have been impacted by it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

We believe the problem was with this particular range. We don't know if it was the full range or just part of it.  They haven't said what they've done to resolve it specifically though.  I suspect whitelisting the range it, but it could be an update to a geo-database as well.

We just need to keep our eyes open for any regression, or evidence it hasn't opened it fully.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

I know that this issue has now been resolved but I have been playing and come up with an alternative, free, low hassle solution should there be a similar recurrence in the future.

My work around is to add the VPN extension 'Windscribe'  to a browser, I have it installed on Chrome (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/windscribe-free-vpn-and-a/hnmpcagpplmpfojmgmnngilcnanddlhb...). Windscribe will allow you 2GB a month VPN data without registering but if you give them your email address this goes up to 10GB free of charge. This can be switched in or out at the click of a button on the browser. You can also choose from a range (be it limited for the free version) of destination countries, which includes the UK. If you use this it does not matter where your IP address is allegedly based, your link will come out of Windscribe on a UK IP address. 

I have tested this on the systmonline.tpp-uk.com website..If I set the Windscribe destination as USA I get the 'not available' message from systmonline. If I set the destination IP as UK then bingo, I get to the log in page.

Windscribe is also excellent for incognito browsing. 10GB is more than enough for me as I do not use Chrome for streaming. It is not slowing my 55Mbps download speed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adrianscotter
Pro

Thank you for sharing that Balders, this could be very, very useful for all manner of things Smiley

Live long and prosper!