cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get my previous payg android to work on my technicolour router.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Cannot get my previous payg android to work on my technicolour router.

BTW, will it all need changing if for example I try a public wifi access point?
Yes, as a static IP it will ONLY work with your home router.
I realise it's working now and you don't really want to mess it up again but if you go back to the advanced wireless settings there should be an option now to switch back to DHCP. You really want to use DHCP if at all possible as that's the only configuration that will work with other wifi access points.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

francoise-hardy
Grafter

I can only see the same box to uncheck for static IP. Screen looks same as before I selected static.
So, I will leave alone!
Thanks again, Robin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm fairly sure my daughter has a HTC One, she's here next weekend, if I remember, I'll see if I can have a look on her phone.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Quote from: MisterW
BTW, will it all need changing if for example I try a public wifi access point?
. You really want to use DHCP if at all possible as that's the only configuration that will work with other wifi access points.

Are you sure this is correct, for wireless networks it should be possible to configure network properties for each network SSID; unlike a wired connection where it's either DHCP assigned or a Static IP
Dan
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Good point, that's what you would normally expect, but from what Robin seemed to be saying , the advanced properties don't seem to be selectable with a network SSID, but rather from the general menu, unlike the current versions of Android. So I'm not sure if they apply generally or to a specific SSID.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

What I have noticed with my S3 is once you have connected to an network it is not possible to go into the advanced settings anymore, no option to do so. What I would have to do is forget (delete) the network and then discover it again. Before I join the network again I can then select advanced properties.
Dan.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In that case maybe Robin really needs to forget his current connection and redetect it, Then it may work OK with DHCP.

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

That's already been tried...
Quote from: francoise
This is despite several attempts "forget network" and then inserting password again

What Dandroid may not have tried is a long press of the network name on the wifi page?
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

You can only get to the advanced options by long pressing on the wifi connection when your not actually connected to that access point  from what I can remember..
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Thanks everyone. Kevin, I can access advanced menu, but there is no DHCP, Anywhere! Just static IP option check box, which I have now set up and it works. Yes, it is a 2+ year old phone, OS 2.*?Huh
It worked fine all the while it was on it's 2 year contract, which ran out a few weeks ago. The sim was left in and a new sim activated on a call plan using same phone number with my new S3 that I purchased outright.
After a few weeks of not using the htc (but kept charged) I bought a payg sim for it, same network (t mobile) and that is when i found it would access my home wifi but not the internet anymore. It will access the 3g data connection ok, at a cost!
However, the 2 years the htc was used for, my router was an old belkin, no wifi problems. The new PN technicolor was installed just after i stopped using the htc. And it was the other day when i tried it with the payg sim i found out i could not access internet, but could access the router login.
Looking via google, a couple of results suggest resetting both phone and router? The phone has had a factory reset already, would you recommend a router reset? Any pitfalls as i use 2 wifi and 3 lan connections to it.
Thanks again, Robin
pwatson
Rising Star

As a sanity check - Do you get a webpage if you browse to http://192.168.1.220 on either the phone or your iPad etc?  Have you got anything else plugged into your router that could be acting as a DHCP server?
Possibly co-incidence, but the default router IP address for some Asus routers is 192.168.1.220...
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

I can confirm a long press allows you to enter advanced options (you learn something new every day)
I seem to recall a few years back with the early Nintendo devices would not connect to a wireless network which was  802.11 B and G, it would be unable to get a IP address using DHCP, the device only supported 802.11 B, the workaround this was to use a static IP address, maybe this is the same here as most modern routers support B,G and N.
Dan.
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Good thinking indeed! YES, it is the address of a wireless router upstairs on the end of a LAN cable. It gives extended range upstairs as well as feeding my pc up there as well.
So, is this the problem then? If so, can I change a number somewhere in a setting?
BTW, my downstairs main router is a plusnet technicolor with SSID ending in 041CCC. My upstairs one is a konig router, SSID ends in 041CCB. This is so I can select either one when I get a weak signal.
My postings about that second router are at
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,118377.0.html
I must admit, with my ignorance on these technical matters I never thought to mention it. Sorry!
Kind regards,
Robin
francoise-hardy
Grafter

previous reply for pwatson!
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: francoise
Good thinking indeed! YES, it is the address of a wireless router upstairs on the end of a LAN cable. It gives extended range upstairs as well as feeding my pc up there as well.
So, is this the problem then? If so, can I change a number somewhere in a setting?
BTW, my downstairs main router is a plusnet technicolor with SSID ending in 041CCC. My upstairs one is a konig router, SSID ends in 041CCB. This is so I can select either one when I get a weak signal.

Login to the Konig router and disable its DHCP server and hopefully all will be well!  While you're at it, if you change the SSIDs to be the same and (optionally*) change the channel to be the same as well you should be able to roam freely and the device will pick up the strongest signal.
*Some advise having different channels - I found my devices found the first network rather than the strongest in my house so I've got mine set the same - Experiment!