Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to the router

hamilton36
Grafter

Cannot connect to the router

Hi,
I have just installed a WinXP Pro on another hard drive on the same computer, so I now have 2 identical operating systems on the same machine and I can select which to use at log on.  The problem is that I cannot connect to the router from the newly installed WinSP, yet I am connected on the earlier installation.
The router is D-Link DSL 2640B.  When I type http://192.168.1.1/ into Internet Explorer the router's logon screen does not appear and all I get is the usual "Page Unavailable" error message.
I have not tried re-setting the router for fear that I might then lose the connection that works.
Any help would be most appreciated as I don't know what to do next.
Many thanks,
Alex
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Cannot connect to the router

Might be very silly suggestion but when you installed the new XP version did you also install the network drivers for your motherboard as the new installation can't use the ones for the other installation
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: hamilton36
I don't know what to do next.

The first thing I'd do is look in the Device Manager to see if anything useful is visible in the Network Adapters section and working.
hamilton36
Grafter

Thank you Oldjim and HPsauce.  You were right. It was the dreaded NVidia drivers and the NVidia Connection Manager. As I installed both form the CD a message flashed: "you have just connected to internet" and that was it.
Thank you again.
Alex