Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access some sites and ages on some sites

zoppz
Dabbler

Re: Cannot access some sites and ages on some sites

No improvement, I am ready to giveup on Plusnet!  Cry
Used a mobile broadband dongle and managed to get on each and every web site I was unable to when I used Plusnet. This can't right. 30+ minute wait to speak to tech support.
Very disappointed. One month is all Plusnet get... Angry Angry Angry
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: zoppz
Used a mobile broadband dongle and managed to get on each and every web site I was unable to when I used Plusnet. This can't right. 30+ minute wait to speak to tech support.

There's likely to be delays when calling support I'm afraid as the office is practically empty because of the adverse weather conditions! See status.plus.net for further details.
Regarding your problem, the first thing I would do is try another router if you have access to one. I recognise that you didn't have this problem with Sky but it still helps to rule out the equipment at this early stage.
Failing that, I suspect your problems are a combination of your low IP Profile (this is now 750kbps, but it was 350kbps earlier this morning) and the fact that some of the site you're trying to access are in the Download Sites/Servers category. See here and here for further details. You may well be synchronising at 4Mbps but your IP Profile will be squeezing your throughput down to a fifth of this at the moment!
There's also a slim possibility that you had been assigned a default traffic management profile which won't have helped things. This isn't common place but it does happen occasionally. There was a PPP disconnect/reconnect on your line about 20 minutes ago though which should have sorted this out if it was the case.
Another suggestion would be to check/tweak your RWIN/MTU settings. There's info about doing that here and here.
I suspect the majority of the problem was being caused by the 350kbps IP profile you had been assigned. The 3G dongle will probably have given you faster speeds than this.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I notice your router MTU is set to 1492 - try 1500.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
zoppz
Dabbler

Thanks Bob and Jelv.
The speed has gone up to 620kbps however the problem remains with certain sites.
"..and the fact that some of the site you're trying to access are in the Download Sites/Servers category. See here and here for further details."
The sites listed, in Bob's post,  takes  almost 5 minutes to load; mobile dongle instantly.
My MTU settings is set at max, i.e. does not go to 1500.
Next I will try another router when I get hold of one. I have a sky router but I could not fins a way to change login and password setting.
Zoppz
Grff
Grafter

A PC pointing to it's own router for DNS isn't necessarily a problem.  My router gets it's DNS settings automatically from Plusnet, and seems to relay requests from my laptop fine.  My laptop's DNS is set automatically via DHCP from the router, and points to the routers IP address (192.168.0.1).  This works fine.
If you suspect DNS is the problem, try manually setting your PC's DNS settings to use OpenDNS's servers;
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/cool-websites/free-dns-server/
Can you ping addresses fine from a command prompt.  Do they return any ip address?  How about doing an NSlookup on the name you're having problems with. This wil lcheck whether your DNS server can resolve the name.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: zoppz
My MTU settings is set at max, i.e. does not go to 1500.

I suggest you check that you have your router correctly configured to use PPPoA and not PPPoE. 1492 is the maximum for PPPoE
zoppz
Dabbler

Router is set use 'REC 2364 PPPoA'
MTU value is out of range [576 - 1492]
Zoppz
jelv
Seasoned Hero

In that case you need to make sure the MTU being used by your wireless PC is 1492 or lower.
zoppz
Dabbler

Smiley Smiley Smiley Result
Updated the firmware so MTU setting is now 1500 and DNS is set to OPENDNS Servers. Now I am able to access all the sites still little slow but it's start. Hopefully over the next fews days it will get better.
Thank you all who helped over the last few days.
PS Plusnet has chance to stay now!
Cool
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I don't like OpenDNS because if you mistype a URL it will redirect you to a sponsored site.
Google DNS doesn't tell lies like OpenDNS - Googles IPs are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
zoppz
Dabbler

Huh
Looks like the profile put back down to 360k; the average speed is back download to 280kbps.
I can access everything I need but it is very very slow.

Angry Angry