cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling contract

handyface

Cancelling contract

Hello,
I signed up to plusnet on 24th Feb, and had my line activated on 3rd March.
The service was not immediately available due to a BT issue, which was resolved by an engineer yesterday (5th March).
Last night I attempted to use the connection to log in to a few servers through SSH, but found it extremely slow. 
After some investigation using wireshark, it appeared SSH packets were being tagged as low priority, and a file transfer test revealed I was getting around 30Kbyte/s.
I was aware of plusnet's traffic shaping, but the website indicates that any interactive, or time-critical traffic would be prioritised.
After some further research, it appears plusnet lower the priority of encrypted packets on non-standard ports.
I can understand plusnet's reasoning behind this, but it left me with an internet connection which doesn't fit my requirements.
I requested a MAC to transfer to another provider, which was promptly delivered by plusnet.
However, due to cancellation, plusnet have now billed me for an entire year.
I am currently investigating how Distance Selling Regulations, and the Sale of Goods Act apply to this situation, but was wondering if anyone had any information / experience about this?
Thanks,
Andy
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Cancelling contract

Hi Andy,
What did Wireshark say that the SSH traffic was being prioritised as? 0x80? 0x60? 0x40? 0x20? 0x00? It should be 0x80 (Gold) unless you're using not standard ports.
AFAIK, under distance selling regulations, you're allowed to cancel your contract within 7 days of activation and giving us 30 days notice.  I'll get some confirmation on this, but I'd rather we fixed your SSH traffic!
handyface

Hi James,
Thanks for the quick response!
The SSH traffic was getting prioritised as 0x20, as non-standard ports are being used.
A couple of the servers are available on port 22, which seem responsive, but unfortunately the vast majority are on various other ports.
The Distance Selling Regulations allows for a 7 day cooling off period, but it's unclear to me whether this commences at point of contract acceptance or when the service is activated.
Thanks,
Andy
James
Grafter

Hi Andy,
Standard SSH will be using Gold (0x80), your non-standard SSH is Bronze (0x20), but I suspect you knew that already.
Let me get back to you on Distance Selling.
ukweb

...deleted