cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Broadband but keeping email address for a while

jlgreen
Dabbler

Cancelling Broadband but keeping email address for a while

Does anyone know if this can be done - I'm moving to a temporary address and I don't know how long for so I need to cancel my Broadband, but I still want to be able to use my plusnet email account, at least for a year or so.
Anyone know if it can be done and if so, what the charge per month would be for this service?
Thanks.
Jo
8 REPLIES 8
jlgreen
Dabbler

Re: Cancelling Broadband but keeping email address for a while

[quote author="Scurv-aceous" Hubert Hacke link=topic=1630.msg15626#msg15626 date=1190199474]
Yes, and totally free. Make sure you ask for a free PAYG dial-up account when you cancel and that you check it at least once every sixty days.

Gawd, I don't even think my computer has a modem in it to do dialup and it'll be going into storage for a while anyway.  I just want to be able to check my email  while I'm at work so I know I wouldn't be able to do the dialup thing every 60 days.
I suppose that would give me 60 days to swap all of my website memberships, etc, over to my gmail account or something.
Thank you for the reply.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
If you request a PAYG dialup account when you cancel you can keep this account indefinitely.
You don't actually need to dial in, accessing your email will be enough to keep the account active.
You can always upgrade the same account back to broadband once you've moved to your permanent address if you wish.
jlgreen
Dabbler

Quote from: Red
Hi there,
If you request a PAYG dialup account when you cancel you can keep this account indefinitely.
You don't actually need to dial in, accessing your email will be enough to keep the account active.
You can always upgrade the same account back to broadband once you've moved to your permanent address if you wish.

That's fantastic, just what I want.
Thank you.
Mand
Grafter

No worries.
Hope the move goes well. Smiley
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: Red

Could you also request an "Essentials" package for those who want to host their own domain?
bertie123
Dabbler

If you do have a PAYG dial up account you would need to pay £25.00 per year to host a domain.
MrToast
Grafter

Is that the Essentials package you refer to at £1.99pm?
Mand
Grafter

The Essentials package is no longer available unfortunately.
To host a domain on a free account costs £25 a year as advised above.
Alternatively you would need a subscription dial up account, which starts at £4.99 per month. You would then not need to pay the hosting fees, and get extra advantages such as accessing your webspace from any connection (on a free account you have to dial in to FTP to your webspace).