cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use Netflix or Freeview Play, neither will play.

FIXED
celias
Fixes: 1

Can't use Netflix or Freeview Play, neither will play.

We have been unable to use Netflix or Freeview Play for catch up tv since mid December. Our free over 75 tv licence was cancelled so we can't watch live tv anymore and rely on both of these to watch films, series and catch up tv. We are still able to surf the web most of the time. Please help, it's not been a very nice Christmas with no entertainment.

2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Can't use Netflix or Freeview Play, neither will play.

Have you ever been able to use these services?

If not then there is the possibility that your basic broadband service is not suitable for using these services, which you have turned to after the change in your circumstances.  On long copper phone lines (4km+ from the exchange) ADSL line speeds might be too slow for streaming TV services.

Do you know what line speed you are getting?

You might have a fault on the line which is impacting your internet services - not enough for you to notice it doing email and web browsing, but certain to degrade on-line viewing.

If you are able to access the router settings, sight of your router stats would be most helpful.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

celias
Fixes: 1

Re: Can't use Netflix or Freeview Play, neither will play.

Fix

Thanks for the reply. I have been using Netflix for over a year with no problems. I finally managed to get through to Customer Services today. The young man I spoke to checked the line and said I was getting 22 mps which was a good signal. He said I should change the channel on my router because too many other routers in the local area were using the same channel. He also suggested another option which was to use an ethernet cable to connect the router directly to the tv and cut out the wifi completely. I thought this was the better option and am going with it.

Thanks again for your help. I hope this helps someone else with the same problem.