cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't turn interleaving off

albany
Grafter

Can't turn interleaving off

Trying to get interleaving turned off and CS put order through several weeks ago, report shows it's off but modem still reports interleaved.
The line has always been strange since new line installation in Jul 07 (reported MAX but was set up as a 576/256 line) - finally resolved by resetting BRAS profile since which its has syncd at a steady 8128.
In Jan 08 the modem would not authenticate for three days (tried several modems all with same problem - sync at 8128 but no authentication).  At that time interleaving was turned on.  Tried to get it turned off then.  PNet put order through and reported it turned off but still interleaved.  Finally gave up trying to get it turned off.
Having another go now to get it turned off.
CS belives it's a modem issue but this modem used to run FAST on this line (before problems in Jan 08) and has been tested recently to run FAST on another line.
It seems to me that the information on the line does not represent what the exchange hardware is actually doing.  Is that possible?
One final thing, profile given by CS today shows max stable rate as 476k which seems to be a throwback to my problems in July 07.  Modem has synced always at 8128 since Aug 07 - shouldn't max stable rate have gone up in the profile?
36 REPLIES 36
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Can't turn interleaving off

The MSR should not be as low as that unless you had a fault or other very low sync issue during the training period - when was your line actually maxed? This looks to me like a throw back from the initial incorrect setup, I think you have a case for getting PN to request it be reset but that may mean a new "training", something which doesn't happen too often. What's your DS attenuation - that may help add weight to your case?
As for the Interleaving/Fast reporting, well there have been cases where other things such as Trellis has been incorrectly reported (Trellis is always on and can't be turned off) but whether this is due to some incompatability between modem/router and DSLAM/MSAN chipsets or bugs in firmware or DSLAM setup, I don't think anyone knows.
If the other line where you tried your router and it correctly reports Fast normally uses a router with a different chipset (or at least firmware), if you could borrow it and see what it reports on your line. If it doesn't report Fast, then I would conclude there is either something wrong with your line setup or the (port on the) Linecard is actually faulty.
scootie
Grafter

Do your ping times indicate that your on fast path?
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, good point batman ASBO, I'll go and get a caffeine intake and maybe I'll wake up and switch brain on  Wink
scootie
Grafter

i was up nice and early ready to watch live f1 so all ready drank a gallon of caffeine
thought i ask that as when i i did a quick scan i could'nt see any thing that pointed towards the op testing there pings to find if its just the router mis reporting.
forgive me if you all rdy know but the best indicator to go on is a cmd promt ping or tracert to bbc.co.uk.
open command prompt and type......   ping bbc.co.uk     ....... or .........    tracert bbc.co.uk
and post the results here.
to compare heres my fastpath results from derbyshie/ yorkshire yet to decide which as council says derbyshire/ east middlands local news says yorkshire Roll_eyes
Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.224.138] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=120
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=120
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=120
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=120
albany
Grafter

Thanks guys.  Useful tips.
CS has not asked ping times and as you'll see I'm getting mid 30s which seems to confirm interleaved since it's about twice what you're getting ASBO dog and it's about twice what I get on the other line.  I'll feed that back. to CS.
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=121
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=121
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=121
Reply from 212.58.224.138: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=121
Swapping out the other router to my line for testing will not be popular (one of our work lines with fairly heavily installed CISCO modem/router).  I'll see if I can find an alternative to test it that way round.
As to training, it was a new line in Jul 2007 and ADSL was set up as soon as line was activated allegedly as MAX - but it wasn't  - sync was capped at 576/256k  and it trained at that rate - and boy what a job that was to get it sorted!  Asked about the MSR of 576 at the time and was told it would sort itself out  - clearly hasn't.
Modem stats below.  Voyager 2100 reports roughly the same.
--- System Information ---
Vendor: Linksys
ModelName: WAG160N
Firmware Version: A1.00.09 , 2008-05-05T17:46:41
GUI Version: A1.00.09_007
Boot Version: 1.0.37-5.4
Hardware Version: 0.01
--- DSL Information ---
DSL Driver Version:  AnnexA version - A2pB022g.d20e
DSL VPI/VCI:        0/38
DSL Status:          ShowtimeRetrain Reason: 0
DSL Mode:            G.DMT
DSL Channel:        INTR
DSL Upstream Rate:  832 Kbps
DSL Downstream Rate: 8128 Kbps
                      Down        up   
DSL Noise Margin:    8.6 dB      14.0 dB
DSL Attenuation:    21.0 dB      11.5 dB
DSL Transmit Power:  19.8 dBm    12.4 dBm

Anotherone
Champion

Ah, excellent 21dB DS attenuation. Clearly an MSR of 576 on a line that will always sync at 8128 unless someone cuts the wires is plainly bloody stupid. Also I note your US sync is 832, presumeably you've got max.prem.? The ping times are not fastpath!!
I'd actually raise a fault ticket rather than a generic question, hopefully it'll then get dealt with by someone who knows what they are talking about Roll_eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and before that other person moans, just had my coffee, this is a graph showing overnight drop off on my excellent connection, just finished it
albany
Grafter

Max premium it is Grin and pretty close to the exchange.  Made lots of nice cups of tea when new line was installed Wink
CS has referred to faults now.
Hate raising a fault because you have to go through all the unplug this and that routine when this clearly isn't about line noise or dodgy internal wiring (don't have any BTW - straight into an ADSL Nation faceplate).
albany
Grafter

OK,
Got a problem with CS now.
CS tell me those ping times are consistent with a non-interleaved line because they are so low.  Everywhere else I try on a FAST line the ping to bbc.co.uk is about 12-15ms.  My pings from a PC connected directly into the back of the router/modem are more than twice that.  Also my modem reports interleaved as does a second modem which will happily report non-interleaved on another line.
Are there any other tests I can do.  Is ping time absolutely conclusive?
How does one gently tell CS they seem to be talking nonsense?
James
Grafter

To be fair - 30ms is a perfectly acceptable fastpath ping response, depending where in the country you are.
I'll have a look now though.
Edit - Can you PM me your username please.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I wonder if you need to request interleaving to be put on to get the records matching the current situation, and then ask for it to be turned off?
Can you get the ping times and the interleaving/fastpath status from another Plusnet user on your exchange?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: albany
........................How does one gently tell CS they seem to be talking nonsense?

If James can't sort them, I wouldn't bother telling them gently. As you have already said if other Fastpath ping times locally are 12-15ms, then clearly things are not right. 30ms is not acceptable.
albany
Grafter

Finding a PlusNet user on my little local exchange might be tricky - it's very small.  Have tested pings on the two adjacent much bigger exchanges where I'm getting 15ms or so on bbc.co.uk and with FAST.
However the bbc.co.uk pings used to be in the 12-15ms range when the line was first installed and set up in Jul 07 and before interleaving was turned on in Jan 08 after my strange authentication problem.
Edit:  Just had a thought.  I wonder if in Jan 08, the routing from my little local exchange was changed.  Might explain the messed up profile and longer ping times.  Still wouldn't explain why my modems (one of which is a PlusNet supplied Voyager 2100) all report interleaved though.
Anotherone
Champion

The local routing "shouldn't" make much difference, nor would a different ISP if they have Gateways in the same places.