cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't log in to Plusnet on newly installed TG582n Plusnet router

frogman
Grafter

Can't log in to Plusnet on newly installed TG582n Plusnet router

I recently purchased a TG582n router and it seems to be working satisfactorily according to all the diagnostics but my usual Plusnet login is not accepted when requested, either on my desktop, my phone or my tablet. Any advice gratefully received!
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Can't log in to Plusnet on newly installed TG582n Plusnet router

If you are trying to access the router you don't use your Plusnet login details but the router login whatever that is - look in the quick start instructions
frogman
Grafter

Thanks for your reply, but there's no problem accessing the router. Plusnet is asking my for my username and password and then telling me they're not valid.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Have you put in the username in the format username@plusdsl.net
This assumes that you are trying to get the router to connect to the internet and not to login to the member centre once you are connected
frogman
Grafter

Yes I've put my username in in that form - the bit after the @ is there already. I'm beginning to wonder if I've got a problem because I purchased the router from eBay rather than directly from Plusnet. It was sold as new, and was in fact sealed, but could it have been registered to another address first? It is a Plusnet badged router.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It could indeed be linked to another account although putting in your details should sort that
This may need staff assistance
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'm not completely clear what the actual issue is! 
Are you having problems getting the router to connect to the internet or are you having problems logging into your account on the Plusnet website?
frogman
Grafter

I have no problems logging into my account on the Plusnet site using my usual login details, but when required to do so in order to get full functionality from the router my login is rejected as invalid. I'll contact Plusnet and get them to sort it out. Thanks to everyone who replied - this is obviously an unusual problem!
pwatson
Rising Star

Again, I'm afraid it's not clear what the issue is. Please outline *precisely* what you're doing as we can't see over your shoulder Smiley
frogman
Grafter

After I have followed the setup routine, the router website confirms that I have connectivity. I then attempt to access a website - say Facebook for example. I am faced with a Plusnet dialogue box as follows: "Broadband Setup. Information needed. We just need a little more information from you. Please give us your account username, provider and password and click 'go' to continue". I then enter my username@plusdsl.net, my provider, in my case Plusnet, and my Plusnet account login password. On clicking the "go" button I get an error message saying "you need to provide a valid username and password to continue" 
pwatson
Rising Star

Ok - That's clearer.  Smiley
Can you attach a screengrab of your open browser window, including the address bar, showing the Broadband Setup screen?
frogman
Grafter

Here it is ...
Oldjim
Resting Legend

suggest mask out your username and your name in the top right
pwatson
Rising Star

I suspect that the PN system is trying to auto configure your router with the details of the user who is associated with it.  Try going into the Technicolor web interface and choose Technicolor Gateway > Setup my Technicolor Gateway and then use your Plusnet username and password.
If that doesn't work you'll need to contact support and give them the serial number of the router so it can be removed from the original account and associated with yours.  Failing that, buy another generic ADSL router.
frogman
Grafter

Thanks very much for your advice - I'll give it a try.