cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get up and running

chrisbamforth

Can't get up and running

I ordered Plusnet broadband recently and got activated etc.  It won't connect though (no DSL sync) and I think it's a line fault.  Have logged a call with support but the call has gone cold for 3 days.  Done all the usual, different router, filters, cables, tried it in the test socket etc.
I have another line installed by my company which gets a stable 1.8MB so it's not a distance issue.  I've recently cancelled the work line fully intending to move to Plusnet for my internet.
My question is whether anyone knows how to go about persuading Plusnet/BT to simply swap the pairs of the two lines at the exchange so that I know I'm on a good line.  The master socket for the old work connection is better situated anyway so it would actually be better for me and surely easier and cheaper for the tech guys who are trying to fix the line fault.
Any thoughts please?
4 REPLIES 4
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Can't get up and running

They would have to go through a cease and reprovide (exactly the same as a house move) to swap it over to the other line which would I think cost you £65.
In any case it could only be done once the ADSL has been fully removed from the work line which will then leaver you without any internet for a few days.
It would have been far better if you had got a MAC for the work line and migrated the service to Plusnet which would have given minimal down time - but I think it's too late for that! Sad
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chrisbamforth

Ah, perhaps not the answer I hoped for.  Sad
I'm not bothered about being without for a few days but I wouldn't have expected it to be difficult to swap a couple of lines over that both came into the same house.  I guess I'll have to wait for support to reply to the call and see what they come up with.  If I did pay £65 I guess they would be able to cease the old dodgy line and move our home phone number over to the known good line?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

It's probably not a dodgy line, more likely a misconfiguration (by BT) at the exchange.
chrisbamforth

Ok, thanks for the replies anyway.  Guess I'll wait for support.  They said 48-72 hours on Saturday for an update so dunno if they've had issues with the weather or not.