cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't do more than one thing at a time??

PCliff
Dabbler

Can't do more than one thing at a time??

Hello,
I'm having a problem with my line that, basically, I can only do one thing on it at a time if I am playing an online game.
If I am on a game, and someone opens safari (or anything that uses the internet connection) on ANYTHING, tablet, PC, phone
the game lags out big style. 500+ ping impossible to do anything.
If they were downloading a lot of files, I would expect this. But it is simple browsing on a browser or anything involving the internet.
Gaming can't be done. This is 2015 and i'm stuck with a line worse than 56k that I had so many years ago.
What is going on? How can I fix this?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Can't do more than one thing at a time??

Are you using a wired or wireless connection for the machine playing the game ?
When my Stepson uses his XB360 on wireless it tends to slow the rest of us too.
PCliff
Dabbler

No it isn't that. Everything is wired except the tablets.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

What are your connection rates (up and down?)
You may simply not have enough bandwidth to multi-task without saturating your connection.
PCliff
Dabbler

From the site http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
Download Speed (Mbps) 13.7
Upload Speed (Mbps) 1.07
Ping Latency (ms) 19.00
Sounds awful, which it is can't believe a new build can't get good internet.
But still, should be able to run more than one thing on it. It costs me £20 a month for this crap.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Clifford,
There are many things which could be "at play" here, all far removed from PlusNet's domain.
The first thing to do is to compare your actual service against expectations for your location.  Actual speed is governed by where you live (relative to the exchange) than anything else.
Please read the speed issues thread - see the link below - then gather the requested information and post it back here.  We can then take a look at how things are performing against expectations.  At this juncture looking at DATA SPEED tests is not overly useful - you need to be looking at synch speed and ensuing you have got as much of that with out error as you ought to get on YOUR line.
Is there any noise on the phone line?  Using a corded phone plugged into the master socket, dial 17070 option 2 - is the line silent?
Is the router plugged into the master socket?
Are there any phone extensions?  If yes, how are they wired?
Do you experience this problem all of the time or only at certain times of day?  (For example, only between 5pm and 10pm?).
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.