Can't connect

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Can't connect

weirddave
Grafter

Interesting. When I called at around 12:37am, I was told it was a BT issue and definitely not a +net problem, which is obviously now not the case.
James
Grafter

Hi Dave,
Quote from: weirddave
So, exactly what was the issue and why did it take 11 hours to fix?

We weren't aware of the impact of the problem until around 7am yesterday.  We'd had an isolated authentication fault raised late on the previous evening, but that's not really that abnormal.  Once we started to realise the impact of the problem, the CSC called out our Networks Team and raised a service status post.  Following investigation, it appeared that there was a line card fault on one of our gateways.  Because it was our newset gateway, we had "double entries" applied in RADIUS to ensure that this pipe was balanced more quickly.  However, this also compounded the issue because more customers were trying to connect to the same pipe.  We then removed the double entries, fixed the line card and then all seemed to be back to normal.
I'm sorry you were affected.
mapletree
Grafter

Quote from: orbrey
Hi mapletree,
that's essentially what we did do, and what resolved the problem this morning. Have you had connection issues this afternoon?

It was OK in the afternoon.  All I was asking is, when there is a problem with a single gateway, the usual advice is to reboot modem/router and connect to another gateway.  I wonder why this did not work during the morning?
James
Grafter

Because it was our newset gateway, we had "double entries" applied in RADIUS to ensure that this pipe was balanced more quickly.  However, this also compounded the issue because more customers were trying to connect to the same pipe.  We then removed the double entries, fixed the line card and then all seemed to be back to normal.
mapletree
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.  I've no idea what it means though. Huh
James
Grafter

Ok - Basically when we have a new pipe or segment lit, we want to get as many people on it as quickly as possible, so that our network is nicely balanced.
We do this by adding double entries.  What this means is that instead of new connections to us being shared across all of our gateways, more customers will be directed onto the pipe/segment with double entries.  It's pretty common practice, but caused the problem to be a bit more widespread because a large number of customers were being directed to the pipe with the dodgy line card.
mapletree
Grafter

I get it now  Smiley