cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t access modem settings. Can any one help?

Jessica
Grafter

Can’t access modem settings. Can any one help?

Can’t access modem.  Can any one help?
I’ve just been given a Thomson 585v7 modem to try to see if it will improve my connection.  The problem is, I can’t enter the modem setup menu to type in my details.  The modem keeps asking for my username and password.  I assumed it was ‘admin’ and ‘admin’ like my existing one.  But that don’t seem to work.
Before I was given the modem, it was reset to factory default settings to remove my friends details etc.  Is there a factory default password?

11 REPLIES 11
mikeyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Can’t access modem settings. Can any one help?

Jessica
Grafter

Thanks for the link.  Worked a treat.
This 585v7 is firmware 8.2.6.5.  I can only access this Plusnet site (which is really odd).  If I try to go to any other site, I’m asked for my username and password again.
Any ideas?

mikeyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

No idea.  I've never even seen a Thomson router, I just knew where plusnet keep their setup guides.
Hopefully someone who knows more will be along soon.  I'd be guessing at a wrong DNS server address somewhere but it really is just a guess.
win7xp
Grafter

Did you program your PN broadband username and password into the router corrcctly ?
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
I got it working now.  All I had to do was re-boot the modem.
I’ve just done the BT Speedtest with this new modem.  I thought it would make a difference to my connection speed.  It didn’t.
I’m still Profiled at 6500, but I can’t sync at 7616 any more.  My download speeds are also slow.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/JessicaHart/BTSpeedtestResult1.jpg
I still don’t understand why I can’t sync at 8128 with a profile of 7150.  According to the BT Speedtester, I should be able to.

win7xp
Grafter

Evening is not the best time to resync the router.
Early morning is much better
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks Win7XP,
Can you be more specific?  What's the best time?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

once between about 9 am and say 2:30 pm, you might then have to wait  three days for it to pick back up again (Stay connected)
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately for me, I tried several times this morning to re-sync at 7616, but to no avail.  I still can’t sync at 7616.  My IP Profile is still 6500, which is of course a good thing.  I’ll try again in a few days.
I still haven’t been informed of the results of the tests that Plusnet are conducting at the moment.  Perhaps then they can explain why I live only 250m from the exchange and can’t sync at 8128 with interleaving OFF.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Jessica
To repeat.
Because of your multiple disconnections your default noise margin has been increased from 6dB to 15dB.
For this reason you will not get 7616kbps sync speed until the automatic systems see that the line is stable again and reduce the default noise margin
This can take several weeks providing there are no more disconnection problems
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Also...
If you repeatedly disconnect/reconnect within a short period you will delay the BT equipment seeing your line as stable and it will take longer to get faster speeds.
Reconnect ONCE A DAY during the period 9am to 4pm and leave your router on all the time.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)