cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Even Get To First Base!

leblanc
Dabbler

Can't Even Get To First Base!

It is 4 days now and I am still not connected!
I can't get beyond modem/router connection as I have no constant DSL green light.  It constantly flickers.
I have completed all the simple instructions of microfilters plugged directly into both telephone sockets.  There are no other sockets.
The BT Voyager 210 Modem/Router is connected directly to the main telephone wall box via the microfilter.
I am using the correct cable, connected as instructed.
I have not even connected to my computer yet because of the constant flashing DSL green light.  It has never gone solid green.
I have reported this to Plusnet but there is no fix as yet.
Why is nothing straightforward in telecommunications?
Any thoughts?
23 REPLIES 23
passer
Grafter

Re: Can't Even Get To First Base!

Are you a new customer? Has your line been previously enabled? Have Plusnet told you there is a specific problem?
LiamM
Grafter

I take it you've had an activation date and it has passed?
Have you had the email from PlusNet saying your ADSL is active? If you check your ticket history at http://help.plus.net are there any tickets ("Questions") indicating a delay?
passer
Grafter

(I was trying to elicit the same information, but less skillfully...it must be very irritating for you not to be able to check that yourself, Liam!)
LiamM
Grafter

Quote from: passer
...it must be very irritating for you not to be able to check that yourself, Liam!)

Yes!  It really is! 🙂
leblanc
Dabbler

Thanks for your replies. 
This is a copy of my most recent e-mail from Plusnet:
Broadband Fault Checker - Connection checks [ Completed ]
The Connection checks have now completed
Test result summary: Pass
Testing of your broadband service has been completed. We are unable to identify the cause of your connection problems.
Please confirm that the problem is still occurring. If your problem is an intermittent connection, please provide details of the times when your service was not available. We will report your problem to BT and continue our investigations.
Thank you for you patience!
I was told on the 24th August that my broadband had been activated!
I am a new customer, and the line was not previously enabled because I was on dial-up only, and with another I.P.
Not applicable

This is exactly what happened to my friend's connection when I was trying to set it up back in May.  We reported it immediately to Force 9, checks were done and it was passed on to BT, who repaired the line.  From reporting the fault BB was up and running within 36 hours,even though it encroached into the weekend.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
We've got a fault open on this, so will be running some tests and raising it to BT today if necessary, please ensure the router is switched on for the duration of the fault.
As it's a new activation once the fault is resolved we'll sort out a refund for you for the loss of service.
leblanc
Dabbler

Quote from: poppy
This is exactly what happened to my friend's connection when I was trying to set it up back in May.  We reported it immediately to Force 9, checks were done and it was passed on to BT, who repaired the line.  From reporting the fault BB was up and running within 36 hours,even though it encroached into the weekend.

Unfortunately it is not 36 hours in my case!  Plusnet were apparently going to contact BT about this problem over 5 days ago, and here I am still at first base!  It is passed mid day and the green DSL light on the modem router is still flashing!
As I said in my initial comments I don't understand why there are so many telecommunications problems with BB in this country.
I am a new entrant to BB and I would have thought under the circumstances it would be a simple matter to hook up, or if there was a problem to rectify it quite quickly.
Who is responsible is it Plusnet or is it BT?  After all I appled to be set up some time ago and received an e-mail from Plusnet on the 23rd August that my BB was active.  I reported the current problem to them very quickly.
Is there no proper testing by both parties that all is in order?  The system seems to operate reactively, and not very efficiently at that, rather than proactively.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies for the delay, I've checked on this and can see that one of our faults agents has picked this up and actioned it for you.
johnmglen
Grafter

Wouldn't you need to connect to the computer to put in the correct settings for the first time?  Might be me being thick, but I had to to get my netgear stuff connected properly.
Not applicable

Hope that you are soon connected, Leblanc.  I transferred to BB last year and it has been excellent - hope that your experience is the same. Please let us know the outcome.
leblanc
Dabbler

Here is the update:
Plusnet have informed me that BT have checked my line and found no fault.  The next step would be a BT engineer to call at a cost of £169 if no fault found.
This is a conundrum as BT have said there is no fault with my line.
Plusnet sent a second modem/router which I tested this am.  I still canoot get a permanent DSL light.  It keeps flashing.
These are the steps I have taken and would appreciate any advice:
1. Checked the BT master socket and both input wires A & B are tightly secured.
2. Connected the modem directly to the master socket via the filter with no other equipment connected.
3. Connected the modem to the MS with the extension disconnected from the main socket.
4..There is only a master and one extension.  I connected the filters to both.
5. Changed the cable to the modem.
6. Changed the microfilter.
7. Changed the modem.
8. Did not connect my computer because there was no continuous DSL light.
9. Left the modem in line and fully connected for 8 days.
10. My telephone and dial up Internet connection works OK.
Is there anything else I can try as I don't want to face a charge of £169 from BT?
Surely the problem is at the BT end.
What precautions should I take when the BT engineer arrives? I don't want him coming out with some spurious reason for the problem.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I really can't think of anything else you could possibly try and would not expect BT to charge you.  If they were to try to do this, we would fiercely contest it.
itsme
Grafter

James, Does BT specify to PN what tests they have carried out. Do you know whether they used a Presto Tester on the MDF? From the OP discription it seem that the line is only PSTN. What logging does the voyager 210 has, does it report ADSL detected?