Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone please help me with setting up HH2 on my fibre broadband

madtazzy
Dabbler

Can someone please help me with setting up HH2 on my fibre broadband

Hi all,
i bought a homehub 2 today from a car boot as we have been having lag issues with our technicolor router,
I found a guide on here which said all you needed to do was type in your plusnet user name and password and it should connect but mine isnt working.
My questions are these
1. the pasword for the broadband is this the same password i used to sign in on the plusnet website? if not how can i find out what it is as its blanked out on the connection info page on plusnets member area
2. when you connect the homehub to the openreach modem do you need to plus into a specific ethernet port?
3 based on point 1 being the log in on website and point 2 being either 1 or 2 for some reason when i go to the page to enter user name and password it just says theres no connection to login to so i then go to advanced settings and it allows me to type int eh username and password but then still nothing happens....
I thought it was meant to be really easy to get a homehub setup on plusnet but for some reason its just not working.
Someoens help would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks
Paul
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Can someone please help me with setting up HH2 on my fibre broadband

the pasword for the broadband is this the same password i used to sign in on the plusnet website?
Yes
The HH2 was primarily designed for an ADSL and not Fibre connection. I think the HH 2.0b did have the ability to be used with Fibre, LAN port 4 was the correct one to use I believe.
With a HH 2.0a the only way is to unlock it http://www.psidoc.com/showthread.php/7-How-to-hack-or-unlock-your-home-hub-2.0A-via-software. and then reconfigure port 4 for Fibre use http://www.psidoc.com/showthread.php/204-Converting-your-Homehub-2.0a-for-use-with-infinity-and-or-V....
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

madtazzy
Dabbler

Ok cool so if i buy a type b it will just be a case of enter username and password and bingo?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Ok cool so if i buy a type b it will just be a case of enter username and password

It should be fairly straight forward.
we have been having lag issues with our technicolor router,

I'm just curious as to what happened there exactly as lag issues are not usually hardware related, with that in mind make sure you let us know if you see any similar issues with a new router in place.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@madtazzy - A better buy would be a Hub 3 - it definitely has the fibre connection ethernet socket, and still has 4 ethernet ports for your LAN. Lots of them on that well-known auction site for peanuts...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Ok cool so if i buy a type b
I'm not sure whether there are 2 versions of firmware for the Type B , an ADSL one and an Infinity(Fibre) one. You might be better off trying to get a HH3 which support Fibre natively.
Jaggies beat me to it...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

madtazzy
Dabbler

Well i have reported the issues to plusnet and they responded saying they didnt find any faults on the line and that my modem is recieving close to the full 76mb connection but i am only recieving about 35-41 at good times to my pcs so that means i would think its a throughput problem from the router hence i am trying to improve this by replacing the router with a homehub 3.
I am hoping this will increase the throughput and therefore at the busy times the extra throughput will counter the high latency i have been suffering on some evenings at peak times
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Ok cool so if i buy a type b it will just be a case of enter username and password

It should be fairly straight forward.
we have been having lag issues with our technicolor router,

I'm just curious as to what happened there exactly as lag issues are not usually hardware related, with that in mind make sure you let us know if you see any similar issues with a new router in place.
Adam
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Ok, just keep us posted as to how you get on with that.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: madtazzy

I found a guide on here which said all you needed to do was type in your plusnet user name and password and it should connect but mine isnt working.

Was it ths guid created by me?    http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/using-a-bt-homehub-3-or-2-on-plusnet-adsl-or-fttc/
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you only want the hub 2 as it has telephone then think again because you would have to go through stages to get that working. I suggest you use hub 3 or 4
I currently have a bt hub 4 on ADSL and is getting ready for fibre  Grin
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up