cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone kick my IP Profile?

arjem
Grafter

Can someone kick my IP Profile?

For the first 3 months of the year my IP profile was consistently 5000. Since end of March it has dropped to 4500 despite a couple of reboots of the router  Can someone give my profile a kick to back where it was or better? Please.
17 REPLIES 17
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Can someone kick my IP Profile?

There'd be no point upping your profile on our side of things as unfortunately the BT profile is at 4500 at the moment (and has been since March according to the records from BT).
It's probably worth making sure the router is in the master socket and that everything plugged into the line is filtered (especially sky boxes and fax machines if you have any) as that can have an effect. Also if the router is on an extension cable from the socket that can cause a lot of interference and slow the line.
Finally if you could post your router stats we'll be able to investigate a bit further for you.
arjem
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. The point is that nothing has changed since Nov 2009. When after advice from this forum I installed an ADSL Nation faceplate on entry point of BT line and the router is directly connected (no extension cable) to this socket. I do not have fax or sky boxes. The speed I obtained after this point was 4500.Since March the speed dropped 4000 which was obviously caused by BT dropping my profile. I thought this would only happen if the line was unstable but it has in fact be very stable.
My router stats are as follows:
Connection Type : G.DMT
ADSL Status (Downstream/Upstream) : 5536(Kbps) / 448(Kbps)
Connection Up Time : 261 hour, 8 min, 3 sec
Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 5536 448

SNR Margin (dB): 6.3 23.0
Attenuation (dB): 41.0 23.0
Output Power (dBm): 11.9 19.6

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

To get a 5000 profile you need to be synced at 5696 kbps or faster.
I suggest you reconnect once during the day time (10am to 3pm) and immediately take a note of your noise margin - that will be your target noise margin.
From then on only reboot when the current noise margin is above the target. You will find it will reconnect at the target with a slightly higher sync speed and you might manage to get it above the magic 5696 kbps.
Looking at your stats your sync speed does appear to be a bit down on what might be expected for your attenuation. It might be worth seeing if you could borrow different routers to see if a different make/model gives a better sync speed - what router are you using at present.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
arjem
Grafter

Thanks. I'll reboot router tomorrow and see what happens. My router is D-Link DSL-2640B and supplied by Plusnet. I keep records of router stats but only when I have to reboot due to loss of connection. From these stats I can see that on11th Jan 2010 I had virtually the same stats as I reported in previous message but the sync speed was 5942 and hence the IP Profile was 5000. The only difference in the stats was the Attenuation on 11/1/10 was 40/22 as opposed to that reported yesterday as 41/23. Can you explain what affects attenuation?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Attenuation is basically the amount of interference on the line and can be affected by a lot of things - weather, the quality of the wiring, distance from the exchange, the quality of the equipment connected. I'm afraid there's not really any one thing we can say is the cause. This is one of the reasons we advise testing from the master socket with all other items removed from the line, because that eliminates any cause of interference from anything directly connected or the extension wiring itself.
r3fl3x
Grafter

@Matt: Can my profile have a nudge please? 12000 at BT's side and 8000 PlusNet.
Merci!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

De rien Smiley
Oxigin
Grafter

Could someone advise me please on what is an IP Profile ? How would I be able to find out mine? (BT and PN) I live within 100m of my local exchange so im hoping for a decent connection - Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Oxigin,
Your IP profile is essentially the fastest download speed you'll see on the line, it's what is set by the DLM (dynamic line management) system at the exchange. We mirror this on our side however sometimes there's a mismatch and one of us staff members needs to set it to match what's set on the exchange side.
You can check your BT profile by running a BT speed test (at http://www.speedtester.bt.com) and on our side by clicking here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Oxigin
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi Oxigin,
Your IP profile is essentially the fastest download speed you'll see on the line, it's what is set by the DLM (dynamic line management) system at the exchange. We mirror this on our side however sometimes there's a mismatch and one of us staff members needs to set it to match what's set on the exchange side.
You can check your BT profile by running a BT speed test (at http://www.speedtester.bt.com) and on our side by clicking here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Thanks Matt - I'll have a look at this when I get home
Oxigin
Grafter

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the links,
My Details are (My Router Info)
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 7.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 3.0 / 3.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 9.0

BT Speed Test
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3500 Kbps

Plusnet Test
Phone exchange:
BLOXHAM
Estimated line speed:
5 - Checked on 2009-04-30 15:21:46
Current line speed:
What do you make of these figures?
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Your stats are as I would expect for someone living close to the exchange and you should get the maximum 7150 IP Profile so something is going wrong to push your profile down to 3500.
The causes of a lower profile are interference/noise on the line or very frequent disconnections/reconnection's.
I notice in your stats that the data transferred is zero which implies your router had been connected for a very short time. How often do you power down your router? It is recommended to either leave it permanently connected or connect when you first need the internet that day and then leave it permanently connected until you are positive you will not need it again (when you are going to bed).
The other common cause is that you don't have filters installed correctly. You must have a filter in every telephone extension that is in use (phone, fax, Sky box etc.), not just the telephone socket with the router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oxigin
Grafter

Hi Jelv,
Im pretty sure the reason for my BT IP being so low currently is due to recently having problems which has been kicking my connection up and down (Should raise if my connection is active for 72hrs ?)
I was wondering should this have affected my profile with Plusnet ?
When I used speedtest.net a few weeks ago it was showing 6.4meg do you think this is the max I should be getting or should it be closer to 7?
Mand
Grafter

If your connection remains stable you should get a profile of 7150.
You should get 6.5Mb plus speeds then.