cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my Fibre speed be returned to original level?

austinsom
Grafter

Re: Can my Fibre speed be returned to original level?

Good luck with this - I have had a similar issue with lost speed (20mbps in my case) and have just been told there is no more they can do Sad
If you're interested, have a read of this: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124220.32.html
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bigsman,
I'm sorry to hear the engineers visit didn't go as smoothly as I'd anticipated. When I raised the fault for the engineer to attend I did add the notes for the engineer stating very clearly "Customer requires OpenReach modem", it seems the engineer may have missed these notes from the sound of things.
I'm sorry if you feel Chris' comments came across as condescending, however, his comments are correct and he's arguing your point rather than the engineers point. The engineer was incorrect in the way he handled the situation as we specifically ask that an OpenReach modem be provided for the installation of the Fibre service. The reason for this was correctly outlined by Chris as below:
2.  When I explained my understanding of the purpose of his visit he looks bemused and pointed out that 'there's no point in you having a modem because the HH5 has one built in so what's the point?'
That's really not the point, as part of the initial installation, an Openreach modem is supplied, this wasn't supplied. If your HH5 became faulty for whatever reason and you wanted to connect via PPPoE whilst you await a new router to be delivered, this wouldn't have been possible. Don't get me wrong, Self-Install will perhaps change that in the future but in this instance an OR Modem was requested and wasn't provided.

If the modem is not provided during the initial installation then we always go down this same route and send a faults engineer out to rectify this by providing the modem during their visit. It seems the engineer who visited your property didn't think that you required a modem due to you having the HH5, however, they should've still be aware of the fact that regardless of what modem/router you have they should supply you with an OpenReach modem if you weren't provided one when you had the initial installation.
I can only apologise if this engineer left you a modem which isn't suitable. We can arrange another engineers visit if you want us to do so. If this is the case please raise this to our Faults team on the ticket that has been escalated back to you (Ticket: 83641716) and they can organise this for you.
The one thing the engineer was correct in saying is that your Fibre speeds can be effected by more capacity being used in your cabinet. The drop in speed may be due to this and the engineer has stated that you are now syncing at the correct speed.
bigsman
Hooked

Quote from: austinsom
Good luck with this - I have had a similar issue with lost speed (20mbps in my case) and have just been told there is no more they can do Sad
If you're interested, have a read of this: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124220.32.html

Have had a read and can see the similarities and also that we have both been / continue to be quite reasonable about our situations.  What made interesting reading for me about your case is the fact that you state you had no outages which could give rise to DLM lowering your speed due to instability.  Thinking about my own situation leads me to the same conclusion (although I have no proof) but from memory the only 'drops' on my line were as a result of TR069 changes to my homehub settings - not me, or my down to my connection being inherently flaky.  So, like you, I'm now even more bemused as to why my speed has dropped and basically continues to head in a downward direction every time I check my router stats.  Has anyone actually ever been able to find out what exactly all these remote sessions are for?  I see multiple events in my router log on a daily basis yet I have absolutely no clue as to why they are necessary / what the purpose might be.  Annoying!

leader
Grafter

Quote from: Webif
The HH5 have been causing all sorts of issues with the now infamous openrg disconnects causing the dlm to reduce line speeds.

^From page one Wink ^
The quickest fix is to use a modem without BT software eg An Unlocked Openreach modem  or a higher end modem/router like the friz box.  
BT say there is no issue with the HH5, so one has to conclude its been coded to call home very very frequently.
Wink