cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can broadband setup knock off phone line?

mamam

Can broadband setup knock off phone line?

Hi,
I am a new Plusnet customer. Today I got a text saying my broadband was finally online. My phone had been on for over a week and I had no problems to report from it; it was sending and receiving calls.
When I set my router up & waiting, I was presented with the Technicolour Gateway. After getting a "could not get line"  I went to try my phone and it was not working; no dial done, nothing. I contacted Plusnet and they had me remove the router from my phone socket and try the phone on both sockets standalone, which again gave me no dial tone. I have not made a call today but AFAIK the phone was working without issue until I connected the router.
Tech support said they had contacted BT to fix the phone fault. This is the log:
Fault Type:NDT
Test Results: Fail - Fault located between DP and customer apparatus (no appointment required) Description: FAULT - Dis In Network
Estimated Resolution Time: 04/09/13 21:00:00
I need a broadband connection for work and the 4th September seems very far away given that I have already waited 10 days just for this.
I am not here for more support from PN, but rather to ask if this is at all common and if so how long resolution usually takes. The advisor said that if it's not fixed by the 4th an engineer will visit, which I imagine will take another week. Does anyone have any knowledge of these things? Can setting up a broadband connection really cut off your phone line?
7 REPLIES 7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Can broadband setup knock off phone line?

I believe the problem you are experiencing is quite rare.  Presumably something went wrong at the telephone exchange.  Either that or it's a pure coincidence. 
mamam

I live in a block of flats with 2 floors below me. I heard a bit of drilling earlier but nothing too much. Is it at all likely that they drilled through the phone line and damaged it some way? I know everything is possible but I know nothing about phone lines and am just thinking out loud. It is such a weird fault because it went from phone working, to broadband getting set up to neither being functional, not even a dial tone.
I have checked both my master and extension socket and they don't appear to be fault. They are both set up the same; 4 wires with 2 being connected. I read online that this is normal and nothing appeared to have come loose, nor did I do anything that might have damaged them.
I am a bit annoyed as I can see this problem being something that goes on and on since the cause of the fault is not obvious. PN said the BT guys would check tomorrow but if not fixed by the 4th they would have to send someone out. If it isn't fixed by then I would rather pay the £100 to get someone out than wait; is this possible? Do they do weekends, and can you just get a BT engineer out like that?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It's most unlikely that plugging in the router would cause a permanent telephone problem (in the sense that unplugging it - as you were asked to try - should eliminate any problem).
Enabling broadband involves some re-jumpering/re-cabling in the exchange which could cause a phone fault. However the Plusnet fault note suggests the fault is near your property - specifically between the DP (Distribution Point) and your apparatus (master socket). In our 4-storey flats the DP is in the landlord's electrical supply cupboard for the building. Cables to each flat run through service ducts. It's unlikely that drilling would go into those ducts, though careless work in the electrical cupboard could lead to telephone wiring damage.
The BT Openreach engineer should be able to locate the fault using his/her test equipment (losing dial tone is not uncommon), and quickly fix it.
David
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
I've just checked on the status of your fault and is is now showing that this has been repaired, can you confirm if this is the case? If' it's not we need to push this back to our suppliers for further investigation.
mamam

I can confirm that a BT engineer came and sorted the problem, and that the problem was basically was Spraxyt said - setting up the router caused a fault in the DP near my residence. The engineer said it was actually something common to Plusnet, for whatever reason, but I cannot fault the service as the engineer arrived the day after the fault was reported, even accommodating my work schedule.
I don't know whether I should thank Plusnet or BT for this fast resolution, but either way I am pleased that it was resolved so quickly.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Glad to hear this was fixed quickly. Smiley
I suspect the problem would be "common to XYZ too" where XYZ is any broadband service provider, not just Plusnet. Roll_eyes
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You should thank BT Openreach for the resolution and thank Plusnet for doing their best to ensure that it was fast.