cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help?! - exasperated school teacher will no internet!!

jonnyh2
Hooked

Can anyone help?! - exasperated school teacher will no internet!!

Hi,

Can anyone help me?..

I currently have no Plusnet internet access, which I am in dire need of.. I'm a secondary school teacher. I was due to start term this week - teaching online classroom lessons to 30 kids every day, which I have now had to cancel due to this problem.

I've been with Plusnet since 30th March - had no problems until a week ago (14th April). The connection went down and has not come back.

An Openreach engineer came on Monday to check the line - fine - no problems. 

A new router arrived from Plusnet today - but it's the same issue as before - a still orange light. Apparently it is an authentication problem at the Plusnet end. Does anyone have any ideas on a solution?..

I've been inside the router diagnostics and attempted to connect with my username and password countless times, but with no success.

I've been credited 4GB of mobile data today (I'm with Plusnet mobile too...) That will last for about 4 hours of online video teaching tomorrow. I'm supposed to teach 8 hours a day, every day. 

I'm really at the end of my tether with this. My school is understandably getting annoyed with me. Can anyone help?!..

Thanks, Jonathan

10 REPLIES 10
bbpn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Can anyone help?! - exasperated school teacher will no internet!!

Not sure if PlusNet forum staff are still around in the evening, so you may want to call customer support.

Customer support

• 0800 432 0200 (from within the UK)
  • +44 345 140 0200 (from abroad)
7.30am - 10pm, every day Please have your username and password handy.
jonnyh2
Hooked

Thanks for your reply.

I already called this afternoon. I think all they can do over the phone is test the line - it was fine.

It is unbearably frustrating.

bbpn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sorry to hear that. Did they say they're working on the authentication problem? Assuming it's about PPP authentication, have you tried factory reset the PlusNet router? The router would normally set the correct username and password when it's sync'ed after reset, if it doesn't, you can try putting in the username and password yourself, you can test the password by logging in to https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login , as the member centre uses the same password.

jonnyh2
Hooked

Yes I've tried factory resetting a few times... and inputing my username and password in the router - definitely the same password as the member centre. I've tried different passwords too.

I think it is PPP authentication... What is PPP exactly?!

Any other ideas?..

Thanks for the reply.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

"The safety of our people is our number one priority, as they are key to keeping us all connected during the coronavirus outbreak. To protect their health and well-being we will be changing our contact centre opening hours to 9am – 6pm, to help maintain our service to you."

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Evening Jonathan. Sorry again for the issues. I believe I’ve been helping you with this via Twitter. At present this is in hand with the relevant team within our suppliers (BTwholesale) as this appears to be an authentication failure at their end, because your connection attempts aren’t getting through to the Wholesale radius.

We should know more and hopefully this is fixed before the close of play on Friday and I’ll follow this up with you as soon as we know more. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jonnyh2
Hooked

Ok thanks Anoush. You can understand my situation and why I'm so desperate to get up and running again!..

Just though I'd check this forum for any more possible fixes!..

Thank you for your ongoing help with this.

Jonathan

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

No problem Jonathan that’s fine. I’ll make sure this is sorted for you asap. With regards to using mobile data as a temporary service let me discuss this with my manager tomorrow and I’ll see if we’re able to offer you more free of charge. 

If you’re interested in knowing more about authentication there some info here although it can get a little complex, in essence this seems like it’s a system configuration issue. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
jonnyh2
Hooked

That would be great - thanks Anoush.

Some more mobile data would be brilliant - I think I'll need it - video lessons eat data like crazy!

Anyway thanks again for your help with this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Morning Jonathan, no problem I've just PM'd you via Twitter.

Welcome to our community forums btw. Smiley -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet