cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone explain what is meant here please?

ClaretMatt
Grafter

Can anyone explain what is meant here please?

Seems like a touch of gobbledegook.  But I've been waiting 5 days for an official reply....  Maybe someone here knows?
Question topic: Ask the Support Team - General Questions | ID: 30813344   Open
Your original Question 3:15pm, Tuesday 17th November 2009
[Support Wizard Journey]
[Ask the Support Team Your Question.]
[Additional Information]
Been asked to raise another ticket as I closed my "Line fault" one to ask for another reduction in target SNR. I'm presently on 12db and have had a very small amount of errors since BT repaired my line fault. A further reduction would finally allow me to have this connection at Maximum speed. Many thanks in advance
Copied To: <email removed>
[removed] CSC Analyst 5:47am, Thursday 19th November 2009
Dear Mr Swann,
Thanks for this I am passing this over to the correct team, we will email you again in due course.
Kind regards,
[removed]
[Sms Message: Thanks for this I am passing this over to the correct team, we will email you again in due course.]
[mremoved CSC Analyst 10:48am, Thursday 19th November 2009
This fault is currently undergoing testing. Further information will be appended to this ticket shortly.
Kind regards,
[removed]
[removed] CSC Analyst 10:49am, Thursday 19th November 2009
[INTERNAL]
  Upstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors Cell Count Speed
17.5 19.6 0 0 1030628 448

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
28 13 2 0 4605859 7808

DSL Max Data

BIP Interface Data

Current line rate Line rate change timestamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated ProfileTimestamp Maximum Stable Rate
6500 2009-11-14T17:07:33 N 2009-10-02T12:01:07 6240

Fault Threshold Rate Interleaving Flag ServiceOption ServiceOption Status ServiceOption Update Timestamp
4992 O 1 UNABLE TO REACH THE CHOSEN SERVICE OPTION BUT WILL CONTINUE TO FUNCTION UNDER DLM CONTROL (ILQ=R) 2009-08-13T08:08:15

Kind regards,
[removed]
[removed] CSC Analyst 10:54am, Thursday 19th November 2009
Dear Mr Swann,
Thanks for your query,
As per my voicemail. I'm sorry that we are unable to process this request as the indicative line quality is showing Red for this line and the Interleaving is Off. Resetting the SNR to 6dB will cause a dropping connection. We can do this for you but we need to switch on interleaving first to make sure that the Dynamic Link Managment will be able to maintain the line stability. Please let us know if you are ok with this?
Kind regards,
[removed]
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat): CSA name removed as per the forum rules.]
jim:green personal email removed mod:end
12 REPLIES 12
ClaretMatt
Grafter

Re: Can anyone explain what is meant here please?

What I actually want to know is, just what makes a Red quality line and what makes a presumable "Green" quality line?  I recently had a physical fault repaired with the line and it's now stable-as-you-like.
Oops... Sorry about that.  Didn't know you couldn't use CSC's name (although it was just an unedited C&P!)
Thanks for removing e-mail address also Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I don't know how those figures make a line red, the errored seconds is tiny!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi,
The ILQ has 3 colours code ( Red: working outside error and retrain parameters, Amber: working within the error and retrain parameters, Green: working well within the error and retrain parameters)
The DLM increases the SNR only if the ILQ is Red or Amber, it will push the SNR as high as  it can get {{as long as it is not causing Low Threshold Breach Fault}}. The DLM starts by switching on Interleaving unless you've opted out for this. if the ILQ is red and the interleaving is Off. it means that the DLM is struggling to stablise the line.
so resetting the SNR is not something I would recommend unless the interleaving has been enable and the ILQ is back on Green Wink
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

(ILQ=R)    2009-08-13T08:08:15

Surely that ILQ update is WAY out of date!!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ClaretMatt
Grafter

I had my line mended a couple of weeks ago now.  It's all fine apart from being tinkered with by the DLM when it isn't  needed.  How can the ILQ be updated?
ClaretMatt
Grafter

A shameful bump...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@claretmatt,
If you're really bored you might want to read this http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP2107734.html ( about 4/5 way down , section headed DLM Algorithm )
It's an overview of the BT patent for the DLM ( not sure whether its ADSL1 or 2 ), its certainly not quite as Rami describes.
Good bedtime reading though, its will certainly put you to sleep Smiley
I've no idea how you get an ILQ update BTW, I guess only BT know that and they probably aren't saying in case someone holds them to it!!
Edit: I've just read that link a bit further and I think its the description of the ADSL2 (MSAN) DLM since it talks about capped profiles.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ramidoodle
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Edit: I've just read that link a bit further and I think its the description of the ADSL2 (MSAN) DLM since it talks about capped profiles.

Absolutely right, banded profiles are based on the ILQ. Some of our requests to "unband" line profile to 160 k - 24 Mb gets rejected if the ILQ is Amber or Red.
(ILQ=R)    2009-08-13T08:08:15

Surely that ILQ update is WAY out of date!!!

This time stamp shows the date when the ILQ code changed to Red. the time stamp will be update if the ILQ changes to green or amber for this line.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

This time stamp shows the date when the ILQ code changed to Red. the time stamp will be update if the ILQ changes to green or amber for this line.

Ok Rami, that makes sense BUT there's no way that a line with those tiny error counts should still be showing red, is there ?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

My guess is that wouldn't change until the point when DLM would decide to automatically re-adjust the Target SNRM, which is precisely what the OP does not want to wait for, that could be 28 days!
ramidoodle
Grafter

Ok Rami, that makes sense BUT there's no way that a line with those tiny error counts should still be showing red, is there ?

you can have green ILQ with 2 or 3 errors on both up and down streams, as long as it's not intermittent connection. I wish I can get a flowchart or a logic diagram for this.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I wish I can get a flowchart or a logic diagram for this.

Don't we all! Smiley