cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an old customer get a new router?

Chandy

Can an old customer get a new router?

First time here.  We've been with plusnet since moving house about six years ago.  At the time we signed up we rejected the router modem offered as we already had one.  That is now getting rather old and needs to be replaced.  Is there a way I can be sent an appropriate one by you guys?
Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Can an old customer get a new router?

You can get the 582 by asking and paying £4.99 for delivery.
I think you just need to raise a ticket asking for it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could choose a router that best suits your needs, rather than accept the mediocre Plusnet item, and then buy your device on eBay.
You will be amazed at how cheap some of the really great routers sell for ! - you can get something good for less than £10, but £15 to £25 is possible for upper mid-range gateways in nearly new condition.
Just make sure that what you are buying isn't "locked" to a particular supplier (like the Sky DG834GT), unless you like a challenge !
Wink
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I prefer the BT Homehubs on adsl, you can get a HH2 or sometimes a 3 on freecycle, and they are on ebay cheaply as well.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Note if you take the Free router from PN for the postage, you lock your self into 12 months contract so they can recoup the cost of the router
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
deathtrap
Grafter

And a lot more besides the supplied router is only valued at £30-40.00
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I prefer something that's designed to run in so-ho environments than something that has limited user configuration and starts falling over every time you try to connect a lot of devices to it, much better to buy something decent, plenty of people really rate billion kit (although personally I wouldn't touch a combined wifi/wired router again) my preference is the 7800 coupled with 2 buffalo whr-g300v2's (but only because I couldn't afford the asus router I really wanted when my old belkin ap gave up on me) in AP mode for the wifi side of things
but if you don't have more than a couple of devices and your never going to expand the number the cheap PlusNet router would do the trick, and of course you get the added bonus it will be replaced FOC when it goes belly up (well every thing does at some point) but personally I don't like the UI on the thing (its slow to respond, its difficult to find things on but if you use telnet it has some seriously cool abilities) still for its price its about right Smiley
just remember if your going to get a new router make sure it will work with both ADSL and fibre so its future proof (never know whats going to happen when )
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Chandy

Thanks all.  That's a good point on thinking about fibre.  I hadn't thought of that as I'm quite rural, but looking at it, it appears our exchange should get fibre at the end of the year.
As for the hardware, I *could* have 10 devices connected simultaneously, though 3-6 would be more the norm.
We live in an old house and the thick walls are an issue with WiFi.  I'd like to get maximum possible range out of any replacement.
How would the '582' you mentioned fit with this criteria?  Or do you have any suggestions for second-hand gear?
My preference is for all-in-one units as I am low on power sockets.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

my advice would be to get a surge protection extension bar and plug any it equipment into it, (despite the fact I have several sockets available at my desk I use a single 6 way surge bar)
as for the rout you take to getting a good signal all over the place, it kind of depends on your preference's for kit and requirements for mobile or static connections, you could use homeplugs pass through range extender units to extend the network to every room in the house with the advantages that a single unit plugged into the router can link to multiple units around the house via the power lines, and you just locate the wifi range extenders to the far end where the routers signal is weak ....you could run Ethernet cables all over the place (under floorboards to hide them etc) and put extra routers in different parts of the house,  or you can go for a single wifi modem/router unit with high gain antenna (although there normally ugly large and expensive)
lots of options though for how you string your home together, best bet would be to do a spot of research about pro's and cons and see what fits your budget and needs best, I mean the tg582 could do the job perfectly depending on where you mount it,
I have a wifi unit mounted to a ceiling in the stairs to overcome the problems of shielded walls blocking signals simply because it fits the bill for my requirements  but a neater more expensive solution would of been av extender plugs on multiple floors, like most things its all horses for courses
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you