cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Someone Tell Me the Best Way to Connect the Router with Extension?

GetThisBusOut
Dabbler

Can Someone Tell Me the Best Way to Connect the Router with Extension?

Warning: I'm a techno-dunce.  Proceed with caution....

Hello all, I've been reading your posts for a couple of days and you seem to be full of good advice.  I hope you can kindly point me in the right direction in a way I can understand.  This is me:  Crazy
We have just moved to Plusnet and our connection speed is less than 0.5Mbps - looking at any web site containing pictures is pure torture.  It used to be plenty fast enough with our old ISP (not that reliable, but it was fast). 
Plusnet have done tests for me this morning and they say we're getting the max speed we can get when the router is connected directly to the BT test socket.  (Nearly 8Mbps, which is good enough for us).  However, we have our 2 PC's in the lounge and they connect to the mastersocket with an extension lead, which is routed around the skirting boards mostly, with some of it under the carpet edges.  I can't see any broken or damaged parts.  It's been there about 12 years or so.  Our telephone base is also connected to it and so is our fax/printer.  When the Plusnet chap tested our speed on this connection, it plummeted to 0.5Mbps.  So my question is this:
What is the best way to get around this problem?  My partner said just get in Openreach and let them sort it, but somebody else said a local tech would be as good and probably quicker and cheaper.  My dilemma is that I'd like to know what is the best option for us before I get a technician in.  I could be sold an expensive or ineffective system that I don't need and I wouldn't even know.  Do you see what I mean?
Is there a way of getting a socket like the master socket fitted near to our PC's?  Or is there a better option?  We don't have wireless cards in our PC's and don't especially want to have them fitted.  I've been told that wireless connections have lots of micro drop-outs and my partner plays a lot of poker on the internet, so wants the most stable connection possible.  Plusnet chap mentioned a powerline adapter? 
I did have a look at a site called Clarion about extensions, but didn't understand much of it and don't even know if extensions are the way to go.  Is there a site like that one, but more of an idiots guide? 
We can't put our PC's in the hall where the master socket is.  No room.
Btw, to give an idea of how untechy I am, I've thought since yesterday that my network adapter was broken because I was using the wrong hole in the back of my computer.  Downloaded new drivers and everything before I noticed what I'd done  Embarrassed
Any thoughts?  Thanks for reading.
60 REPLIES 60
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Can Someone Tell Me the Best Way to Connect the Router with Extension?

However, we have our 2 PC's in the lounge and they connect to the mastersocket with an extension lead, which is routed around the skirting boards mostly, with some of it under the carpet edges.  I can't see any broken or damaged parts.  It's been there about 12 years or so.  Our telephone base is also connected to it and so is our fax/printer.
I assume what you mean is that the PlusNet supplied modem/router is connected to the extension socket and your PC's are connected to the router with Ethernet cables to the router.
A drop from 8Mb to 0.5Mb is a huge drop , and whilst an extension lead is generally not a good idea I'm surprised it would cause that much difference so one quick question first, your phone/fax IS connected via a filter ( and not just a socket doubler ) isnt it ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GetThisBusOut
Dabbler

Hello
Yes your assumption is correct re the connection of the router/PC's.
Not sure what kind of connection it is for the fax/printer.  I'll try and describe it.  The extension lead from the master in the hall has a terminal in the lounge and into that goes an adsl filter with two sockets.  One is DSL and the router is in that.  The other is phone and the printer's fax plug goes into that, but it's a little rectangular plug that has another phone plug hole at the bottom of it and the telephone goes into that, if you see what I mean.
It does sound a bit Heath Robinson,  but that's the set up we've had for years.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, I understand what you mean. It does sound like you have a filter. Does the speed improve with the fax not connected ? sometimes they can give problems , even when filtered.
Given that the speed is fine from the test socket it does indicate that the problem is in your wiring or equipment. Do you have any other wired sockets connected to the master ?
Failing that it looks like the extension lead is causing the problems. Normal extension cable is often not of the correct specification, a wired extension using CW1308 ( twisted pair ) should not exhibit the same problems.
Have a look here for some info http://www.adslnation.com/support/extensions.php

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

GetThisBusOut
Dabbler

Thank you.
I took the fax out of the extension and it didn't make any difference.  There isn't anything else, just the phone base (cordless phones).
My partner went out this afternoon and bought some cheapo new extension lead.  The same as the one we've already got, or even worse but the router wouldn't work with it at all for some reason.  The broadband light just flashed for ages and I took it off in the end and re-connected our current one.  I told him not to bother with it, but he thought it might show if our extension lead was damaged somewhere.
I'll have a read of that link, thank you.  I'd like to be able to understand what's going on for myself, if possible.
mwarby
Grafter

You want with a round(ideally using cw1308 spec cable or cat 5/6 cable) rather than flat cord, as flat cord isn't twisted and picks up noise
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If there is a power socket in the hall you could put the router in the hall to ensure it connects at full speed. Then run a long Ethernet cable to the lounge (that can be up to 100M long with guaranteed no drop of speed). Then to get multiple connections in the lounge buy an Ethernet switch such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1005D-100Mbps-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_1 just plug the Ethernet cable from the router in to one port and you have 4 more ports.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Jelv's suggestion is definitely the best way to go, ideally using a filtered faceplate on the master socket.
If there is no power socket nearby it's easy enough to extend the 2-core power lead to the router, it's probably only 12V DC.
In fact extending the DC lead is in some ways preferable as it moves the power supply away, those "bricks" are notorious for causing interference to ADSL.
GetThisBusOut
Dabbler

Thanks all for your replies. 
MisterW, I read your linked article and it was very helpful, thank you.
jelv, there is a power socket in the hall, but it's just a very narrow and short hallway and there is nowhere to put a router.  It would have to sit on the floor and I don't think it would last five minutes before being trodden on, tripped over or chewed on by dog. 
I like the look of the desktop switch, I would definitely want one if we decided to run an ethernet cable extension from the master socket.
So, if I'm understand you correctly the options are:
1.  Wire in an extension to the master socket with the twisted pair cable referred to in MisterW's link.
2.  Connect the router to the master socket and use ethernet cable to run to the lounge PC's?
Please let me know if I've hopelessly misunderstood.
Is this the kind of thing we would need if we chose option 1. ?
https://claritybroadband.co.uk/clxcart/BT-Openreach-ADSL-VDSL-Adaptor-Faceplate-for-NTE5-Master-Sock...
If so, is it a DIY job?  And if not, how much would a local telecom engineer charge (I know you can't say for sure but would it be in the region of £75?  £100?  £200? 
I have been trying to get my head round the articles on the claritybroadband site.....I keep thinking if I read it enough times it'll sink in.
Thanks again all for taking the time to reply, it is appreciated. Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: GetThisBusOut
there is nowhere to put a router.  It would have to sit on the floor
Mine is on the wall, fixed with four large blobs of blu-tack!  Grin
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You should find mounting slots on the back of the router - it just needs two screws in the wall the correct distance apart which you screw in until they protrude about 1cm or a little less (you have to experiment to get it right).
(If you ever get fibre you'll be ready - the modem goes in the hall where you have the router and the router will be at the other end of the Ethernet cable in the lounge)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro

@Jelv is correct about the slots, they work fine.  Wink
It's just that, as discussed in another thread, the router is then "upside down" as far as some (me included) are concerned.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So, if I'm understand you correctly the options are:
1.  Wire in an extension to the master socket with the twisted pair cable referred to in MisterW's link.
2.  Connect the router to the master socket and use ethernet cable to run to the lounge PC's?
Please let me know if I've hopelessly misunderstood.
No, you've understood perfectly Smiley As Jelv & HP have said, ultimately, the best solution is to have the router as close to the Master socket as possible, that gives the best chance of the highest speed. If you do decide on option 1 then it is easily DIY and I would suggest looking at a kit like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pair-CW1308-WHITE-10m-Telephone-Extension-Kit-2-3a-Socket-Tool-Instructi... . It includes the corect cable, a suitable socket and an IDC tool to connect the cable to the existing master and the new socket.

shure
Grafter

Quote from: GetThisBusOut

If so, is it a DIY job?  And if not, how much would a local telecom engineer charge (I know you can't say for sure but would it be in the region of £75?  £100?  £200? 

If it helps, I had a similar issue when I first joined PlusNet a few years back.  I was advised to re-wire my Master socket and fit an extension to my study.  It was quite daunting on the face of it but with a little help from the experts on here it ended up being remarkably easy (and cheap!) to do.  As HPSauce has said, you can buy complete kits which come with the necessary tools and it's fairly straightforward.  It improved my situation no end.
Hope this helps
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: shure
As HPSauce has said, you can buy complete kits
It was MisterW, I can't claim the credit for that.  Cool