cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use A speedtouch 330 adsl modem while I wait for plusnet modem to arrive?

leobell

Can I use A speedtouch 330 adsl modem while I wait for plusnet modem to arrive?

Hi, I signed up to plusnet on the 14th of November, and due to various problems the order got delayed, I contacted Customer service and the order was completed yesterday. My question is as I have not received my router as yet from plusnet and most likely won't receive it for a good few days, I had a rummage around my cupboards and found an old Thomson speedtouch 330 adsl modem, and I am wondering if I can somehow use that until the actual wireless modem arrives from plusnet?
On my broadband tracker it says your broadband is ready to use, so I tried plugging in the speedtouch modem, reinstalled the drivers etc, and managed to get some sort of connection for about 30 seconds before it dropped, and now it will connect for about 5 seconds and then drop again.
I did not enter any sort of settings etc to do with plusnet, just a case of installing and using, so could that be the reason why? do I actually need to do something to make the modem connect to the plusnet service and stay connected? or am I clutching at straws?
I guess my main question is am I missing something/doing something wrong is that why it wont connect for more then a few seconds, or is it actually impossible to get a working connection with such an old usb/adsl modem?
Any help would be appreciated as I need to do some stuff for work which will require a pretty stable internet connection, and my t mobile dongle is not only expensive but unreliable to say the least.
Thanks in advance
17 REPLIES 17
magnetism2772
Grafter

Re: Can I use A speedtouch 330 adsl modem while I wait for plusnet modem to arrive?

yes
mine worked okay
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Can I use A speedtouch 330 adsl modem while I wait for plusnet modem to arrive?

I did not enter any sort of settings etc to do with plusnet, just a case of installing and using, so could that be the reason why? do I actually need to do something to make the modem connect to the plusnet service and stay connected? or am I clutching at straws?

You will need to put your PlusNet username/password in somewhere ( presumably in the dial up settings - I've never used an ADSL modem! )
I guess my main question is am I missing something/doing something wrong is that why it wont connect for more then a few seconds, or is it actually impossible to get a working connection with such an old usb/adsl modem?

If you've been provisioned on and ADSL2+ connection its possible that the Speedtouch 330 is not compatible, but I thought it ought to connect at ADSL1 if that was the case.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

magnetism2772
Grafter

however i dont know what  the BT DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer ) thought of my phone line
after I did receive a router
only this system checks your line for data download speed stability
but mine worked ok for a couple of days  
magnetism2772
Grafter

just connect  after using your user name and  password if i remember
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

There is a fundamental problem with using a broadband modem like the Speedtouch 330 in conjunction with BTs DLM system because each time you switch off the computer the modem disconnection may be seen as an unscheduled disconnection and misinterpreted as a line fault.  By the same token if you continue with your dodgy Speedtouch you will probably have reduced your download speed to near-zero before the Plusnet router arrives.
Edit: Oh, reading more carefully, perhaps the modem is fine; it's just the owner who hasn't given it the necessary Plusnet credentials.  
leobell

Sorry I am not very technical I have no idea what BTS DLM is, I should have mentioned I have a plusnet phone line as well which was set up fine a few days after I ordered the broadband so will bt still come into it I am totally lost now.
Also I just tried to enter my plusnet username and password into a new connection but it then asked for a dial number so again I am lost.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

The dial up number Is your phone number, Put that In and see If It works.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
grudkin
Grafter

I would wait for the router to arrive!
With my experience of that particular modem I wouldnt try using it as it may negativley affect the 10 day training period and give the DLM a false impression of what your line is fully capable of!
However if you really must then go ahead, the choice is yours! Lips_are_sealed
Do bare in mind though that the 330 is not ADSL2+ compatible so it would only connect using standard (up to 8Mbps) ADSLmax only!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: leobell
l I have no idea what BTS DLM is,

BT = British Telecom (or is it just BT now?)
DLM = Dynamic Line Manager, the automatic, autocratic and idiosyncratic system in the telephone exchange that regulates the speed of your broadband connection.  You do not  want to get on the wrong side of that!
Also I just tried to enter my plusnet username and password into a new connection but it then asked for a dial number so again I am lost.

If you are being asked for a number then you are doing something wrong.  My advice would be to wait patiently until your router arrives.
grudkin
Grafter

Sorry I am not very technical I have no idea what BTS DLM is, I should have mentioned I have a plusnet phone line as well which was set up fine a few days after I ordered the broadband so will bt still come into it I am totally lost now.

The number to dial should be 0,38 if I remember correctly Embarrassed
BT do still come into things as they are Plusnet's supplier for both phone and broadband!
The DLM is a system in the exchange that monitors the broadband connection for instability and then downgrades the settings to make the connection stable which has a negative affect on your throughput speeds! Sad
leobell

I tried all of the above suggested ideas no success, it is just so frustrating the broadband order stalled on the system and so had I not been checking daily on the tracker which did not move for days and then followed it up it would no doubt of stayed on checking your line for god knows how long, after I chased them up within the space of a day the whole set up was completed.
I  guess it would be best to just wait for the router hopefully it does not require anything on my part as the next payment is now due next week and this will be a month two payments for both phone and broadband of which only one will be working, I guess it can't be helped hopefully be a matter of days for the router to arrive once it is actually dispatched.
Thanks for all your suggestions and advice guys much appreciated.
magnetism2772
Grafter

all i did was dial in using my old connection created by  the windows wizard on my older isp
then just entered my plusnet details in the user name and password box
it connected
magnetism2772
Grafter

i didnt even need to create a new connection after joining plusnet
i just used the old tiscali dialup
magnetism2772
Grafter

lol no kidding it worked
never  bothered to work out why
i still dont  know