cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I turn my router off?

reece251
Grafter

Can I turn my router off?

I have gone live today and I'm now on the 10 day training period.  Am I allowed to turn my router off because I've heard if I turn it off and on when I need it then the line may become unstable. I want to turn it off overnight purely because I am on the key meter for electricity and I don't want it draining too much. Advice please?
13 REPLIES 13
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Can I turn my router off?

Yes sure but you may get slow speeds up for a couple of days after switching on again due to exchange testing your line
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

You should definitely leave it on. It uses very little electricity, pennies at the most.
reece251
Grafter

I'm only 18 so as you could imagine the apprenticeship wage isint that great.  I really hope it won't drain my electric but if it has to stay on then I guess it has to
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

I turned off my router and modem for 2 weeks (Florida holiday) and it was absolutely fine.  So nights will be harmless  Smiley
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Its the number of disconnections and reconnections that affect your speed, if the BT system see's too many disconnections too quickly it will raise your SNR and lower your IP profile.  So turning it off nightly wont affect it.
But during the 10 day period it is better to have it powered all the time as its trigger happy during it.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

The 10 day period doesn't exist,  its just a blasphemy. 
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As the OP is on ADSL the 10 day training period is completely valid
reece251
Grafter

im just glad to be up and running
scoobydoo1
Grafter

Quote from: reece251
I have gone live today and I'm now on the 10 day training period.  Am I allowed to turn my router off because I've heard if I turn it off and on when I need it then the line may become unstable. I want to turn it off overnight purely because I am on the key meter for electricity and I don't want it draining too much. Advice please?

log into your router, and click disconnect, you will be fine (just dont turn the pc off and router without doing it first as DLM will more than likley kick in, or it did with me,
comepletly fine now i log into router and click disconnect before turning pc/router off
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

My all means turn it off after disconnecting via the router interface if you want to but don't be too concerned about the cost of keeping just the router running - mine is a Netgear DG 834 and according to a plug-in consumption meter it uses 7 watts, which equates to about 2 pence per 24 hour day at standard rates.
This figure appears to be quite typical of most routers, wired or wireless.
picbits
Rising Star

As above - you'll be paying around £7 a year extra in electricity so it is hardly worth it.
In fact, in real terms you'll be paying a bit less as that 7 watts / £7 a year is "wasted" as heat so during the colder days / nights it helps (very very slightly) keep your house warm so you pay less for heating.
The above may sound a bit on the silly side but it is actually fact. You'd only really save money by turning it off in the summer months.
reece251
Grafter

I never knew that. Thanks for all this info regarding cost I will keep my router on now
kirk
Grafter

DLM
In the event of problems (e.g. line errors or frequent disconnections), DLM will reduce your sync speed to a level that allows for a stable connection. This allows you to continue using your broadband during problems, at a lower connection speed.
DLM is the main reason that we advise you to leave your router switched on, as turning it off frequently can cause DLM to think there's a problem and reduce your speed