Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I set my TG585 v7 to be a modem only

timlake
Grafter

Can I set my TG585 v7 to be a modem only

Hi,
I've been having problems with my TG585 v7 dropping out all the time which I think is because it was overloaded with devices and port rules etc (My previous Belkin router/modem had died so I was back to the PN provided one).
I now have a dedicated TP-Link router in order to take the load and give me more control plus it will save me buying another device when fibre arrives here in a few months.
Anyway, my question is; How can I best configure this setup so that all the traffic goes from the modem to my separate router such that my port rules and NAT are all done on the router and NOT the TG585.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Can I set my TG585 v7 to be a modem only

You need to set the TG585 into 'bridge mode'. There was a template referenced in this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,100023.0.html/ which should be the simplest method. Failing that then the CLI commands for the TG582 ( they should be the same for the TG585 ) are in this thread here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105753.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

timlake
Grafter

Thanks. Before I do that though, mine is a v7 and that template says v8, will it still work ok? Don't wanna brick the modem.
EDIT/SOVED!:  Went for it (after backing up original config) and it works perfectly! Really simple too.  Here is what I did in case it's of use to anyone else:
Download this template file: http://www.mattturner.plus.com/bridge.tpl
Load it in the backup/restore config page
Run through the setup wizard selecting 'Bridged' from the connection types.  I set the VCI/VPI to 0.38 as it's the UK default and left everything else default.
Reboot and that's it, PPPoE settings on the router connected and now it's all running through that. Lovely.
In that thread it says that port 4 becomes a WAN port but my router is connected to port 1 on the TG. Still seems to work but I wondered if I should switch it.  I'll try anyway when I get home.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

n that thread it says that port 4 becomes a WAN port but my router is connected to port 1 on the TG. Still seems to work but I wondered if I should switch it.  I'll try anyway when I get home.
I'm pretty sure you can connect to any LAN port when it's in bridge mode.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

timlake
Grafter

Yeah, seems that way.
Thanks again for your help, I was about to drop £50 on a Draytek Vigor despite the fact that we get fibre in my area in two months anyway so I wouldn't need it after that!