cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I request a profile reset please?

Slay
Grafter

Can I request a profile reset please?

I'm not sure if it's been the weather but my internet speed has gone very slow. Could I request a profile reset please?

Many thanks.

57 REPLIES 57
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Can I request a profile reset please?

If you think that the slow down is related to bad weather, then there is a fair chance that there is an issue with the phone line.  If that is the case then a reset is not likely to help in the long term.  Take a look at the speed issues link below...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

NB: Please use an Edge browser or IE as there have been many reports that others fail to function correctly when accessing the BTw speed test.

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting in touch @Slay

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having connection issues.

It looks like your connection has been quite intermittent recently as shown below and as a result, your speeds have been banded

Our tests aren't showing any cause for this and whilst the connection is dropping there isn't much point in us putting a reset through as the banding may be reapplied.

I'd recommend raising a fault here so we can investigate further

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Slay
Grafter

Thank you Matthew, that's a very interesting diagram. The disconnects post 5 o'clock on the 11th were down to me turning the router on and off to see if that made a difference, but the previous events in the days leading up to the 11th were not. I've been noticing that the "uptime" on my router has been in the hours rather than days, so I suspect that the router is spontaneously rebooting daily. I think I will keep an eye on the uptime over the next week, and if I see that the uptime has been reset I will invest in a new modem. 

Thank you for the help. Dean

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There is good merit in checking out the self help before spending hard earned cash on a new router.  If the instability is down to the line then changing the router is not going to deliver any benefits.  Have you looked at any of the slow speed self help?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Slay
Grafter

So I followed Townmans advice

I performed the quietline test in the master socket this morning at 7:45 and the line is totally silent.

My router stats are showing a current rate of 4540 Kbps downstream, a max rate of 13024 downstream. D/stream SNR is 20.7

I'm apparently 2.21 km from the exchange.

The router uptime right now is 19 hours and 5 minutes, so it looks like yesterday morning it decided to reboot. 

What do you think, does this sound like an issue with my service, or my hardware?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

You have a problem - a d/s SNR of 20.7dB and your current speed  clearly show that, but I will leave further comment to @Townman  or @MatthewWheeler .

Have you raised the fault as suggested earlier? If not, I would.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Oh this looks ominous!!!

It somewhat looks as though the line has been banded to maintain stability but still the line drops ... line tests shows no apparent fault. The line drops every day - there is a hint of a pattern albeit not a precise one.

Can you correlate any of the drop events in the connection chart above with the use of any electrical equipment?

Which router are you using?

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for the update @Slay.

Had you had the chance to raise a fault at https://faults.plus.net as of yet?

Slay
Grafter

Thanks all for the help in resolving this issue.

As I write this I can see that the router has been up for 9 hours 38 minutes, so once again, it rebooted earlier today.

The router is a TP-Link TD-W8970. I've only noticed these brief disconnects since doing some heavy downloading over the last 4 weeks perhaps. I can't really see a pattern to them. They may be possibly occurring around the 5-6 PM mark when I get home from work. I've not raised it with Plusnet yet, if the fault is occurring on my premises (possibly down to an overheating router) then I'll be liable for the £65 Openreach call-out, plus the potential cost of a new router.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You will only be liable if there is a need for an engineer visit to your premises and they then find a fault within you premises.  Following the fault reporter will seek to reduce the possibility of that happening.  Line tests might find an external fault when retested (the fault might be intermittent).

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @Slay

We've just retested the line which will have caused a drop but I'm afraid we still aren't finding a definite cause

If you do raise a fault post back here once you've done so and we'll get that picked up for you

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Slay
Grafter

I've gone through the fault logging procedure as far as the submission bit where it states that if the fault is found with my equipment I will be charged.

The logs in the router show that it rebooted on Saturday 15th at around 2:30PM, on Sunday 16th at 8:30AM, and on Monday at 9:50AM. I am convinced that it is an issue with the router and not the line. I have a new router to swap in when I have a spare moment.  I am going to try that and see if it can keep the connection up for longer than 48 hours. If it shows the disconnects I will log the call with Plusnet. Thank you for all the assistance

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Slay,

Thanks for getting back to us. I've run another test on the line today just to be sure and we're still not detecting any faults on the line. Please let us know once you've had the chance to try an alternative router and we'll be happy to pick this back up for further investigation.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Slay
Grafter

Ok, just to let you know I've installed the new router this evening.

So fingers crossed things will settle down now.