Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I request a profile reset please?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Can I request a profile reset please?

@Townman 

In these circumstances, we run the "Unable To Ring Trip" test. Essentially, this is ran when the called party cannot 'trip' the ringing, even though they have lifted the handset on their telephone. I did this on the line for @Slay and the test results came back clear without any fault present. 

I tried ringing once from my mobile phone to see if we could reproduce it, but that was fine and caused no issue.

17070 in the master socket was total silence, a wired phone in the master socket with the adsl faceplate back on was also silent.

@Slay - so this ONLY happens from one specific number. Do you know what the number is? For example, have you thrown it into a "Who Called Me?" website and seen if it's common? It might also be worth checking for the range holder, can you pop the number in here and see what is says? 

Thanks, 

MoR

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Townman wrote:
@198kHz - ring current still present when phone off hook - I think I’ve seen this before - does this ring any bells with you please? Sorry for the bad pun!

The only cases I can recall were due to the telephone instrument, but I'd imagine an exchange fault is possible.

I can't imagine any way in which it would make a difference who was calling.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Slay
Grafter

To answer as many of your questions in one reply.

To be clear here, you are saying that you took the phone off hook (picked it up / pressed answer) but it kept ringing?

Yes, we pick up handset and pressed answer, the handset stops ringing, but the other handsets will make a continuous ring sound for a few seconds then stops. This doesn't always happen for every call.

What could you hear on the handset whilst it was still ringing?

Voice as normal.

What kind of phone is this - wired or wireless?

Wireless.

So far theres been 2 disconnects that I can associate with an incoming call, both from the same number (sister-in-law) she's on BT as the holder of the line. The connection has been up 2days and 10 hours, my other half has been told to write down any calls that come in during the day and what time. I'm checking the router when I get home to see if its gone offline. I've also booked an engineer visit for later in the week.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Slay 

For the life of me I can't think of any reason that a specific number would cause this to happen over any other number. 

Let us know how the engineer visit goes wont you? I'd be very interested to read his post visit report on the matter. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Is it possible that there is an issue on the calling circuit which gives rise to noise on the called party resulting in the observed disconnects?

@stay you might ask the calling party to check their line for noise? 17070 option 2.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Townman  But surely any noise on the calling party's line, having passed through the switching network, will comprise nothing outwith the 300 - 3400Hz band?

Presumably the OP's filtering has been checked. As I understand it, there's a similar filtering function where the line splits the voice and broadband functions in the exchange - presumably that could have failed?

On the question of ringing after answer, a cordless base unit signals the handsets to ring, but not in sequence with the incoming ringing current. On my Panasonic system, on an unanswered call, the handsets give an extra ring after the incoming call has cleared (a separate mechanical bell is fitted), but not on an answered call.

Just speculating - could it be that the OP's cordless system has always had the "over ring" effect, but it's not been noticed until looking into the broadband disconnects problem?

Whichever, Message#48 indicates that the answering handset has successfully answered the call, and that any further ringing is from the base unit, not the exchange.

@Slay wrote:

Yes, we pick up handset and pressed answer, the handset stops ringing, but the other handsets will make a continuous ring sound for a few seconds then stops. This doesn't always happen for every call.

What could you hear on the handset whilst it was still ringing?

Voice as normal.

[my bold]

It seems highly likely that incoming calls are causing the disconnects, and equally likely that the "over ring" is a separate, inconsequential issue.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Indeed I did consider that such noise would only be in the audible frequency range ... one is clutching at straws to find a reason for this apparently being seen in association with just one calling phone number.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Slay
Grafter

Ok, so here's an update following the engineers lengthy investigations yesterday. There was a lot of technical terms about loops and cards that I didn't really follow, but the bottom line is that there is a fault at the exchange.

When my phone line is disconnected at the exchange and the broadband is the only connection the line is fault free, when the voice line is reenabled there is some sort of issue present. The chap who visited said that the disconnects will likely continue until the job at the exchange is raised and scheduled to be fixed, he'll be doing so when he returns to the depot. Not a brilliant outcome, but at least something has been identified and likely to get pushed through at some point, dependent on time and cash I suppose.

On the plus side, the engineer did some sort of tweak at the exchange thats boosted the maximum connection by about a meg and a half, so I've seen a slight lift to my max possible speeds and the Sister-in-Law is in Finland for a week. She generates about 80% of our incoming phone calls, so at least the phone calls and disconnects will be less frequent. I'm not sure if I'l be told when/if the  exchange fault is fixed, but I'll post back in a few weeks to let you know what happened.

Thanks for all the help, it was really appreciated.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This is a great outcome. Sounds like you’ve had an engineer who has looked beyond the obvious and actually found a smoking gun.

Finding the cause of intermittent disconnects is one of the most challenging problems for support and engineering. Your correlation of disconnects with the use of the phone was in itself quite pivotal here.

It will be interesting to learn what BT report back to PlusNET on what was done and is still to be done. You should keep the fault ticket open until you have confirmation that the exchange work has been done. Just make sure that, if the ticket is ‘left with you’, that you poke it for an update every 10 days. If it is left with you without action for 14 days it will automatically close.

Sight of your new router stats would be useful. The change in the exchange is interesting ... I’m wondering if they found an issue with your DSLAM port.

@staffers - what was the job spec sent to BTOR here? Seems that they dug deep to find these issues in areas I doubt you guys could have envisaged. We see so many reports of engineers only doing what the ISP asked for ... even if that does not identify / fix the fault.

This looks like an incredibly good result - certainly far better than might have been anticipated. This looks like one for the scrap book!

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post @Slay.

I've E-Chatted Openreach on the back of your post and have been informed that all works that needed to be done have been completed, which mainly consisted of clearing and underground fault near to the distribution point.

They inform me that no further works are scheduled.

Are you able to monitor the connection for us for the next 48 hours, to see if further inbound calls cause any further disconnects?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@OskarPapa wrote:

Are you able to monitor the connection for us for the next 48 hours, to see if further inbound calls cause any further disconnects?

… the Sister-in-Law is in Finland for a week. She generates about 80% of our incoming phone calls, so at least the phone calls and disconnects will be less frequent.

I suggest that this needs to remain on monitoring for two weeks given that the user's perception is that the issue is associated with calls from their SiL.  Which means that the OP should take care to ensure that the 14 day auto closure of the ticket does not kick in before then.  How long can Plusnet hold the case in review with BTOR before they deem a reoccurrence to a new issue?

Slay
Grafter

Its a bit worrying that the engineer said that the blah blah blah needed replacing and that it would be raised with his boss on his return, but the written report passed to Plusnet suggests its all good now. 

Please don't think I'm suggesting this is one telephone number causing these d/cs, its just on the two occasions where I have seen the router lose connection right after a phone call, it was after the same number called.

I certainly will keep you informed of how stable the connection is.

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @ Slay,

Thanks for coming back to us.

I appreciate your comments as it does not seem ideal. Owen has requested you monitor it and get back to us so please do, we'll be happy to refer back to Openreach should there be any repeat of the issue.

Thanks - LF