cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I request a profile reset please?

Slay
Grafter

Re: Can I request a profile reset please?

I arrived back from holiday today and I can see that the Plusnet router plugged into the master socket as advised disconnected yesterday around 2-3PM.

Can I sincerely thank Anoush and everyone else who offered constructive help and advice in attempting to get this issue resolved. 

From your reply Emily I can only interpret that a daily disconnect and the subsequent reduction in speed until I hit rock bottom once again is the expected outcome. The service never used to be like this, it would literally have 23 days of continuous uptime.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Slay,

Just to confirm, was the connection more stable when you were connected directly into the test socket? If so, I would recommend looking into replacing the master socket faceplate and seeing if this is performing any better.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi @Slay

Hope you has a good holiday?

It it the Plusnet router which was in use whilst you we’re away? Remember that the TP router appeared to be disconcerting the PPP session with no obvious indication that xDSL had dropped.

Can you please pis the router xDSL stats, including error counts.

If things look more stable in the test socket if there is any, the issue could be in the extension wiring.

@TheMightyAJ

Can a VR plot for the past 28 days be posted here please? How easy is it to determine the reasons for the loss of PPP sessions? There was clear evidence before that some were not due to a loss of xDSL.

I’m looking for time patterns of the loss of PPP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Townman,

We can't always tell what the exact cause of a crop in connection is unfortunately and none of the connection drops we're seeing at the minute appear to be related to dropping auth (at least from a Visual RADIUS point of view).

@Slay,

If you'd like me to post your Visual RADIUS report for the last 28 days then please let us know and I'll be happy to put it on the thread.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Alex,

No user requested PPP session drops is good news - it implies that the PPP drops are consequential to a loss of xDSL - which removes confusion!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Slay
Grafter

My holiday was great, thank you Townman.

Just to confirm, the Plusnet modem was in the test socket since Friday the 28th through to today around 12PM. I've unplugged it, replaced the BT Openreach MK4 faceplate, and plugged the VR2800 router and my telephone back in. 

I'd be interested to see the visual radius charts, just in case there's some sort of timing pattern with the disconnections.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Thanks for getting back to us @Slay,

I've pasted your visual radius chart here for the past 28 days as requested.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Interesting - there are no drops between 00:00 and 06:00. There are drops most days, many of which show three drops - two close together the third sometime later. Can you find any correlation with house hold activity - possibly as simple as putting a phone on charge?

Slay
Grafter

I noticed the pattern is within the times where you'd expect humans to be awake. Theres nothing before half six in the morning and nothing after about 10PM. So bearing in mind that we were all on holiday for the past week, all the mobile phones were with us, and the home phone would not have been used, the cooker would be off. Given the time range, probably not the fridge as that would be kicking in during the night. I turned off as much as possible before leaving so misbehaving electrical devices are limited.

Could it be incoming calls on the landline? Very occasionally we will receive a call, pick up the phone and the ringer will continue to ring on for maybe 10 seconds or so. I'm not sure how far back the visual radius thing goes back, but Openreach replaced the drop from the post to the house about 6-8 weeks ago so maybe it started then?

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

HI @Slay, I've had a look a bit further back on the Radius and it looks like the drops started more frequently around mid May time.

I think we are going to have to arrange an engineer visit to investigate this further, I've updated the fault ticket here, if you let us know once you've replied we'll pick it up for you.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

A watch for correlation with the use of the phone line - lift off hook - dial a number - incoming call ringing would be a good idea. Such causing the xDSL to drop might point to a stressed filter or a line card issue in the exchange.

Slay
Grafter

I'm relatively confident its the incoming calls. Not sure if its any number or just the one local caller. There was a disconnect on Saturday afternoon that coincides with a specific number ringing us, and one yesterday around 8PMish that was also from the same number that caused a disconnect. I'd like a third example to be 100% convinced. Fingers crossed we're on the right track.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Does it disconnect on ring or does the call need to be answered?

Have you tried ringing from your mobile?

If you dial 17070 option 2 do you hear line noise?

Slay
Grafter

The last two disconnects the phone was answered, on the call on Sunday, the phone also did that odd ring-on thing where even when we picked up the phone the ringer continued on as a continuous tone. I'm checking connection after every call we receive.

I tried ringing once from my mobile phone to see if we could reproduce it, but that was fine and caused no issue.

17070 in the master socket was total silence, a wired phone in the master socket with the adsl faceplate back on was also silent.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

To be clear here, you are saying that you took the phone off hook (picked it up / pressed answer) but it kept ringing?

What could you hear on the handset whilst it was still ringing?

What kind of phone is this - wired or wireless?

@198kHz - ring current still present when phone off hook - I think I’ve seen this before - does this ring any bells with you please? Sorry for the bad pun!