cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have my old IP back please

Be3G
Grafter

Can I have my old IP back please

I don't know... when PlusNet mess things up, they really do mess things up. Roll_eyes Yesterday was the beginning of a new billing period for me, and scheduled for that was a change from my old Broadband PAYG package to Broadband Your Way 2. However, when I tried reconnecting after disconnecting to do a router firmware upgrade, I found that I couldn't authenticate: turns out PlusNet did something very wrong when changing my account over which resulted in it being broken, and unusable for about 19 hours. Granted, the customer support people were very helpful (one always gets nervous when a CSC person says they'll "call you back", but thankfully they did), however, I still find myself wondering how a simple account change could have ended up completely breaking my ability to use the internet...
Anyway. The point is that amongst all the messing around PlusNet have done to get things working again, my 5-year-10-month-old static IP was removed and replaced by a dynamic IP. I've reset this to static in the portal, but of course, I've been given a different IP to my old one. I would therefore like to ask if I could have my old IP back please? I realise that if it's been reassigned then I can't, but assuming it hasn't in the 19 hours I've been without it, I would like it back, particularly seeing as it's PlusNet's fault that I lost it in the first place.
13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Can I have my old IP back please

Let me see what I can do.
Can you raise a ticket with your old IP on and I'll go throw this up to networks.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Be3G
Grafter

Thanks Chris - ticket 25523737.
Chris
Legend

Roll_eyes I raised a ticket at the same time up to networks, one of the guys is going to see if he can grab this back for you. TBH it'll probably be tomorrow due to the change control process they have to go through (it needs a database update).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Be3G
Grafter

Thanks, and no problem, I can wait.
Chris
Legend

Sorry about that, thanks for speaking to me but unfortunately the IP address has been allocated out. Sad
Be3G
Grafter

Never mind - as I said, thanks for calling. Sorry I didn't think to do an rDNS check myself anyway - it completely failed to enter my mind...
paulby
Grafter

@Be3G
It seems to be standard practice for PN to revert a static IP to dynamic on a change of product - even from one BBYW variant to another. 
If you decide to change BBYW product to say Pro or another option at some point you need to add a note to the automatically generated ticket on your account requesting that you keep your static IP. 
I know that's not much help just now but may be useful for future reference.
Chris
Legend

Hi Paul,
It shouldn't be standard practice to do that, but this one was a bit odd. Basically the account change caused some connection problems so there was a second account change to the same product to try to correct this, it was this point the IP was removed. I'm going to speak to the guy that performed the second account change to make sure he knows to keep them on in future.
Be3G
Grafter

Indeed, I've had a product change before (Broadband PAYG wasn't available five years ago!) and didn't encounter any IP changes or, in fact, anything problematic.
However, I'm still not 100% convinced that everything's functioning properly on my account. Shortly after 2pm this afternoon, after discovering in my tickets that my static IP component had been removed (wish someone had told me that over the phone - I could've told them "don't you dare"...), I went to the Change IP Settings bit in the Member Centre and re-enabled a static IP. I didn't, however, disconnect at the time to make the changed take effect. Now, nearly 11 hours later, and still having not disconnected, another user's rDNS is still showing for the new static IP I've been assigned. Furthermore, my current dynamic IP is apparently unable to be resolved when doing an rDNS check on that. What this therefore looks like to me is as though, if I were to try reconnecting, PlusNet might not actually have an IP address 'with my name on it', so to speak, to give my router - which would cause me more problems, and considering the problems I've already had, I'm reluctant to give it a go.
So, could someone from PlusNet please assure me that it will all be Ok when I dis-/reconnect, and I shall do so... else I'll worry that by disconnecting from the internet it'll be resigning myself to another day without a connection...
itsme
Grafter

My static IP when allocated still had an old rDNS which was not automatically updated when it was released to me. I had to raise a ticket to point this out which was several weeks later. I also was not happy to find that my IP was still in DNS records by the old holder. PN informed me that it was my responsibility to contact the old holder/domain owner to have my IP address removed from the DNS records.
paulby
Grafter

@Chris
This isn't what's been advised in the past - advice has been to append a request to the open ticket.
See here.
Chris
Legend

@ Be3G
Looks like the DNS has updated and the reverse is showing your account name now.
@Paul03
That does help ensure that IP addresses aren't removed during account changes but IMO it shouldn't be necessary.
Be3G
Grafter

It is indeed, thanks Chris.