Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have a speed reset please

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Can I have a speed reset please

@steve_arnold I'm no phone engineer, but that looks very messy and wrong to me.

@198kHz  - any comment?

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@jab1 wrote:

@198kHz  - any comment?

Messy, yes, but rat's nests can still work if there's no verdigris, corrosion, damp etc.

Blowing the photos up, it looks like it's wired correctly - Orange and White (Pair 1 of the 2-pair dropwire) on top row, to internal cable Blue/White and White/Blue on bottom row, going to the master socket.

Something is wrong somewhere, as the upstream attenuation is way higher than the downstream, and it should be lower, as upstream uses lower frequencies than downstream. The downstream sync rate seems low for the given attenuation.

This is rather concerning, from the OP -

...the BT master socket was put in by a friend of the family as a favour...  🤔

It would be interesting to see a photo of the master socket with the faceplate unplugged, and the stats with the router plugged into the test socket. Unless the OP happens to have a special cable, this would be via a microfilter to adapt the DSL lead's RJ11 to flat telephone plug.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend

Thanks, @198kHz .

Back to you again, then, @steve_arnold 

John
steve_arnold
Grafter

Apologies I thought I'd put that the friend of the family was a BT engineer at the time, I've got the appropriate cable I'll test and take pictures this evening.

Steve

steve_arnold
Grafter

Ok now router connected direct into test socket these are the stats after 10 minutes - I did the full disconnect in router interface then wait a bit then switch off before swapping.

Status  
xDSL
xDSL
Mode ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type ATM
Status Up
Link Power State L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 17.4 6.0
Attenuation (dB) 42.0 26.7
Output Power (dBm) 0.0 12.8
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 9372 1172

Rate (Kbps) 283 1164

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message) 108 10
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame) 0 26
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame) 1 8
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes) 6 6
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame) 16 6
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length) 0.0941 5.9003
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame) 1445 301
D (interleaver depth) 320 4
Delay (msec) 8 6
INP (DMT symbol) 14.00 0.00

Super Frames 38576 34865
Super Frame Errors 0 0
RS Words 26384722 419379
RS Correctable Errors 166 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0

HEC Errors 0 0
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
Total Cells 414870 1685157
Data Cells 3683 2314
Bit Errors 0 0

Total ES 0 0
Total SES 0 0
Total UAS 52 52

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@steve_arnold  That downstream speed is terrible, how are you connecting to the test socket? Are you somehow connecting via the phone connection on a filter by any chance? i was wondering what you meant by the "appropriate cable", you just use the normal modem cable plugged into a dangly filter, remove the faceplate from the master socket then plug into the test socket.

If you connect a modem to a filtered phone socket it kills the broadband signal, the ADSL frequencies are blocked.

steve_arnold
Grafter

I tried router to test socket using rj11 to BT cable and I've tried the dangling filter into test socket still no change, this download speed isn't the lowest I've recorded at one point showed 42 down and 144 up but improved to what I currently have a short time later.  

Also after each change I've done a 6 minute xdsl Ber test and every time it's had zero error rate although I don't know if that's relevant.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@steve_arnold wrote:

Apologies I thought I'd put that the friend of the family was a BT engineer at the time, I've got the appropriate cable I'll test and take pictures this evening.

Apologies from me too.  Embarrassed

I was misreading the stats in your first post, and thanks to your latest screenshot, the stats are easier to see.

Upstream looks normal, but downstream is dire, with a very high SNR margin.

As one would expect, the two sets of stats taken at different times give slightly different figures, but it's noteworthy that the downstream sync is 283 kb/s both times. This together with the high SNR margin suggests that the line is 'banded' by the Dynamic Line Management (DLM) - I believe that 283 is one of the banding 'steps', probably about as low as it can go!

The attenuation suggests that you would normally expect at least 9 Mb/s.

@steve_arnold wrote:
..although a quiet line test is silent when there's a call in progress the heavy crackling is back...

If that is still occurring, then the way forward is to report that to BT, but don't mention broadband. It's quite common for a standard line test not to pick this up, but if it crackles during calls they should accept it as a fault. Until that is cleared, a reset by Plusnet would only give temporary respite until DLM kicked in and the line is banded again.

IF the crackling has definitely gone away, then you can follow the broadband troubleshooter here:

https://www.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
steve_arnold
Grafter

I've decided to give up for the night and have refitted the faceplate and plugged the phone back in i then checked for crackling which there was, then replaced the junction box cover decided for fun to check the phone - no crackling but I thought that before and it came back.

I've just worked out to try fixing this I've used 3 routers, 2 phones, 3 faceplates, 2 filters and replaced every wire at least twice. I'll reset the router stats and look again after 24hrs, then I'll try and get BT to talk to me - nan said it was ok to talk to me but the person she spoke to said they could only talk to her...

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@steve_arnold wrote:

...I'll try and get BT to talk to me - nan said it was ok to talk to me but the person she spoke to said they could only talk to her...

When helping female friends or relations who are with BT, I've used their Live Chat facility - they don't know who's typing.  Wink

Start here - https://www.bt.com/help/contact-us - click on 'Landline' and follow the prompts, registering a BT ID ijn the process if your nan doesn't already have one. You'll need the account ID from a previous bill.

Don't give them any excuse to fob you off by mentioning broadband - just report the crackly line.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
steve_arnold
Grafter

I hadn't thought of doing it like that - this is the current stats since 10 last night but are there any telnet commands that would gain any useful info? I can't use routerstats as not currently got a working pc but I can use telnet via my phone. Or would nothing be of use because of the low connection speed? 

In member centre it says I should get 4-6mb with guaranteed 1.2mb. 

Status  
xDSL
xDSL
Mode ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type ATM
Status Up
Link Power State L0

Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 22.9 5.3
Attenuation (dB) 42.0 26.6
Output Power (dBm) 0.0 12.8
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 11772 1176

Rate (Kbps) 283 1177

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message) 108 10
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame) 0 54
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame) 1 4
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes) 6 3
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame) 16 8
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length) 0.0941 5.9413
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame) 1445 307
D (interleaver depth) 320 4
Delay (msec) 8 6
INP (DMT symbol) 14.00 0.00

Super Frames 4588003 4072670
Super Frame Errors 0 85
RS Words 3138193922 2457154
RS Correctable Errors 639 1311
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0

HEC Errors 0 100
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
Total Cells 49342663 204830292
Data Cells 6220365 945417
Bit Errors 0 10904

Total ES 0 43
Total SES 0 0
Total UAS 0 0

jab1
Legend

Steve, I personally can't see the point of worrying about telnet commands, your D/S noise margin is way too high, even given your attenuation, and something is causing that and your abysmal D/S speed. As you can see from the 'attainable rate', you should be getting something closer to 9.5/9.7Mb/s easily, but you are nowhere near that. Until that conundrum is sorted, there is little point in looking at anything else.

Your Member Centre figures are intentionally skewed low, so BT/PN can avoid looking at anything until your speed falls below the 'guaranteed minimum', but as yours is way below that, they need to investigate.

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@steve_arnold 

Once again, while other parameters in the stats vary a bit, your latest figures still show that constant 283kb/s download sync, indicating that the line has been 'banded' (ref Message 23 in this thread).

This is probably a result of the 'crackly' line issue, as previously discussed.

If that issue is still there, it's imperative that's dealt with by your landline provider - BT - before proceeding further.

If voice calls are now consistently clear of noise, then follow the Plusnet faults troubleshooter here -

https://portal.plus.net/apps/kbdfaults

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
steve_arnold
Grafter

I did a couple of quiet line tests earlier and there wasn't any crackling or popping, might have been a very low volume hiss but it may have been my hearing.

I'll try some incoming and outgoing calls tomorrow and see if there's any problems - if there is I'll contact BT if not I'll go through the broadband troubleshooter.

Thanks for everyone's help so far, it's much appreciated.
steve_arnold
Grafter

Quick update, after several test calls the line seems clear, however at the cabinet today when I passed there were men in hi-vis working and my dad says they were there Friday.