cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I got a fixed IP Profile somehow?

backtogeek
Grafter

Can I got a fixed IP Profile somehow?

I am tired of having the insane stability argument here.
My line always gets a sync of 2272+ currently 2360 and goes up to 2672.
It is rare that I sync any lower than 2272 unless I am playing with my router or trying new routers etc.
But as my attenuation is 62 down as you would expect the lines does a resync every few days but allways comes back above 2272.
so my question is this.... can I have a fixed IP profile set to 2000 somehow?
I am thinking... once my ip profile is actualy at 2000 take me off the DLM, or move me to a banded line or give me an IP stream product.
As a result of the expected resync's my ip profile is following a rather annoying pattern of 2000 for 24- 48 hours > 1500 for 72+ hours > 1750 for 72+ hours > 2000 for 24-48 hours and repeat.
I am trying to get through to the often ringing rarley answered customer options team to leave plusnet and this is exactly what I am going to propose to them but thought some knowledge from the forum may be handy.
If the answer is no then I will without a doubt be leaving plusnet for an LLU ISP regardless of cost..... price is not everything, infact it played no part in selecting plusnet in the first instance, I wrongly thought ...ok they are not LLU but they are BT's little brother perhaps they will be able to take up my issues with BT faster then anyone else.... oh how foolish I feel now!
16 REPLIES 16
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Can I got a fixed IP Profile somehow?

The only way to have a fixed IP profile is a fixed speed line and with your attenuation that would be 512kbps with an upstream speed of 288kbps
backtogeek
Grafter

So what about banded lines I keep see'ing people being put on due to stability issues, is this somthing in plusnets control or is it BT's doing?
Sounds like I will be leaving plusnet then.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

To get away from this you will need to move to a LLU supplier.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
backtogeek
Grafter

Thanks Jelv,
Ok fair enough I am off just as soon as the customer options team actualy pick up the phone.
Makes me wonder why anyone with the option would stay with a non LLU ISP but I a sure they have thier reasons.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I hope the supplier you are thinking of moving to is Be or O2!
backtogeek
Grafter

I tried O2 although they are listed on my exchange they said I they had no service in my area (3 times I tried)
I tried BE they said that they had no capacity in my exchange.
TalkTalk are part of the reason I am on plusnet, 3 months of waiting, 4 attempted orders and no service delivered.
So SKY it is then, cant be any worse.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: backtogeek
TalkTalk are part of the reason I am on plusnet, 3 months of waiting, 4 attempted orders and no service delivered.

That was a lucky escape.
So SKY it is then, cant be any worse.

You want to bet on that?
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Also make doubly sure you get in on SKYs LLU product and not the BT IPStream resold product.......
linux
Grafter

I am thinking... once my ip profile is actualy at 2000 take me off the DLM, ...

My feeling is that your problem is not so much DLM, but rather an IP profile which is unnecessarily capped after a DLM event. There is no obvious reason why the IP profile should be less than that which the sync speed can sustain. Nor is there any obvious reason why the IP profile should be changing while the sync speed is stable.
The more I hear about the IP profile the more I am convinced that its real purpose is capacity management.
Alas there's nothing Plusnet can do about it.
mikeb
Rising Star

Quote from: linux
The more I hear about the IP profile the more I am convinced that its real purpose is capacity management.

Ah yes, you mean like when you accidentally stumble across the fact that your connection has been quietly 'upgraded' whilst you're desperately trying to work out why it's started behaving very oddly and the data throughput is somewhat less than it should be for a fixed speed 2Mb line with > 30dB SNR ?   I may be wrong of course but I'm fairly certain that a line synched at between 7.5 & 8Mb with consistently around 15dB SNR really ought to provide at least slightly better than sub-2Mb performance and all that Wink
Sorry, it's absolutely nothing to do with the problem(s) in this thread and all that, I just felt the need to post a sarcastic comment aimed at BT/PN after reading your statement of reality Smiley

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi backtogeek,
I'm sad that you are thinking of leaving and I've been looking at some possible solutions for you that may improve things...
I notice your upstream is uncapped, so if you were to cap that again it may give your downstream a better rate.
You currently have interleaving off which could be compromising your stability, so we could switch that on and see if it helps.
Your exchange is due to be upgraded to ADSL2+ at the end of this month so we could put you on that and put you on no DLM.
Just a few ideas.
Jojo Smiley
backtogeek
Grafter

I am on the phone to the customer options team now.
Apparently my line can infact be banded at 2mbit, I am being transfered to tech support now to get this done...... should be an interesting conversation Smiley
I am also told I dont need a mac code to move to an LLU ISP.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi backtogeek,
You're on 20CN, the line cannot be banded. The options I gave you before are the ones that would help.
Jojo Smiley
backtogeek
Grafter

Excellent, good to know everyone checks these things.
Just got off the phone and the banding "is certainly somthing they are going to look in to doing for me"
I have agreed to go through the faults system yet again for a final stab at things but next time I ring customer options and I strongly believe there will be a next tim the reason for leaving will be that the customer options team have wasted my time.
I appreciate your input jojo you are imo plusnet's best asset but rightly or wrongly I think I will get everything I need from an LLU ISP without all the hassle and risk.