Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get fibre now!?!

Blim
Grafter

Can I get fibre now!?!

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SDCWS
So my exchange is still saying "FTTC status: RFS date set : 31/12/2012" but it would seem plusnet are saying I can upgrade from the member section of the site. What does this mean?
If I place this order today will it affect my next bill i8n 4 days time?
9 REPLIES 9
Blim
Grafter

Re: Can I get fibre now!?!

Oh yeah.
"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 64.6Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps."
just need to know about the next bill... if I place this order with it affect my bill on the 20th?? Does anyone know?
WWWombat
Grafter

The website that you got the 2nd result from is more definitive about the status of FTTC for your phone line - Samknows works at the whole exchange level (not the more important individual cabinet level), and doesn't get updated as quickly as BT's own internal systems. To prove it, Openreach themselves sent out this twitter alert to show that (at least some) customers could sign up, on 30th October.
The main question is... how did you get the result you quoted - using phone number, postcode or full address? And did the paragraph start with a sentence about a future date?
If you used your phone number, and there is no prefix sentence, then you should be able to order a fibre connection now. If there is a date given, then they're still working on your cabinet, and you should keep checking the checker. Can you post the full results shown by the checker (though, obviously, you'll want to hide your phone number or address)
As for the bill - someone else will have to help you there...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Blim
Grafter

Ive just placed the order. The over thing I'm not 100% is my Asus router will do the job. It has a pppoe (user namd and password) option.

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6Mbps and 8Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 15Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 8.5Mbps and 19Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 15Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 8.5Mbps and 19Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 64.6Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.
Thank you for your interest.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.
Also provision of some services may not be allowed due to product withdrawal, please contact your service provider for further details.
WWWombat
Grafter

Yup - that shows it is orderable, but you discovered that Wink
The Openreach engineer will bring a modem to use on FTTC. You connect a separate router to this with an ethernet cable - so your router must be able to perform PPPoE *and* have an ethernet WAN connection, on top of any ethernet LAN connections. Most ADSL routers only have the latter, and it tends to be models sold as "cable routers" that have the right connections.
Some ADSL routers can have their firmware modified, such that one of the LAN ports works as a WAN port.
I'm pretty sure that Plusnet will have sent you one of their routers too (£4.99 for postage). This will probably be a Technicolour 582n, though someone else will have to let you know whether it has a true WAN port, or whether it has modified firmware to convert one of the LAN ports into a WAN one.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Blim
Grafter

Rad, can't wait to say goodbye to 60gb limit. I cant get TV here so I end up using all my usage very quick. Can't even watch the new and with all whats going on, News is a must have.
Install date is set for 27th this month. I must be one of the first in my area to get Fibre.

norfolkcrystal

I would like to have the new high speed fibre broadband,
as far as I know my local exchange has fibre to cabinet up and running.
And everyday on T.V. we see that over grown simpleton Crazy driving around tell us how fast Plusnet Fibre is .
So why can't I order it?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Presumably BT have yet to enable fibre on your local cabinet.
David
anniesboy
Rising Star

norfolkcrystal
I share your frustration the exchange Im on was enabled nearly a year ago.
The cabinet feeding the village I live in (population 1750) is still waiting.
When I contacted BT about this,they replied,
Our deployment is based on the commercial criteria for each cabinet and your PCP  fails to meet the commercial criteria. This is because the cabinet is too small to provide a return on the investment based on the costs for the construction and on-going running costs of providing a new FTTC cabinet.
Where cabinets are not commercially viable Government funding is available to county councils and it is worth registering your interest with our County Council.

Blim
Grafter

I would trade my fast internet for living in the countryside any day.