Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHAP & LCP problems

hevans
Grafter

CHAP & LCP problems

Morning.
I have logged a fault with your system as I lost my connection last night. I got home about 5pm and couldn't access emails and had an Authentication error on my router's webpage. I did the usual checks and reboots etc etc but with no success. I tried with a different router but that had the same problem, however if I changed the log in details to my office account it connected immediately.
I have checked the username / password and all other variables several times so I know that they are correct.
I passed the fault details on while logged in as my 'office' then put the old router backand left it switched on as requested. The support page has the fault logged and will respond in 24 hours. However I can't see the notes I left telling them what I have tried as I don't want to waste a day running back and forth to my office to confirm that I have tried a different router / test socket / filters etc.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Huw.
Is there anything obvious I have missed ? I can pass my user details etc on to you if required.
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: CHAP & LCP problems

Hi @hevans and welcome to the community forum.
Tests are showing me when you connected successfully with the username for the other account and that you've had connection attempts with the right details rejected too so we'd be safe to assume this is a fault which our suppliers will need to fix for us.
We have all the info we need from you so bear with us and our faults team will pick this up and log a fault with our suppliers ASAP.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hevans
Grafter

Cheers Adam.
Huw.
hevans
Grafter

Hello again.
I had a response at about 4am which I picked up on getting to the office today. The response and my further query is shown below. I am not that technically minded regarding connections etc but this response seems odd to me considering that I can access another account via that line and router. I understand that things need to be done in a systematic way, but waiting up to 5 days to see if this has worked is unacceptable as I have work to do from home and also have software that needs to connect online before I can use itdue to licensing requirements and also need access to the land registry website.
Again, thanks for any assistance in resolving the issue.
Huw.
Thanks for this.
I am still not quite sure how that solution will work. The router status shows that I am connected, at a slower speed than normal, but still at around 14,500kb/s download speed so I take it that the line is fine.
Also when I change the router log in settings from mine (hevans@plusdsl.net) to my office login (glewis@plusdsl.net) the connection works immediately at full speed.
I am concerned that it can take up to 5 days to see if this works or not as my office will be closed from today and means I have no email access or cannot upload my plans etc from home.
Regards.
Huw.
On 20.12.2013 03:57, Plusnet Support wrote:
> Dear Mr Evans,
>
> Account username: hevans
>
> We have asked our wholesale broadband suppliers to turn interleaving
> on on your phone line to try and fix your current broadband problem.
>
> Interleaving is a form of error correction that helps to improve the
> stability of high-speed broadband. One drawback of interleaving is
> that it can increase ping times, which may cause problems for online
> gamers.
>
> We think that turning on interleaving may help with your connection
> problems. Interleaving usually takes 24 hours to turn on, but can take
> up to 5 days to take effect.
>
> If you are still seeing problems with interleaving switched on please
> get back in touch with us. Thank you for your time and patience
>
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Plusnet Customer Support
> http://www.plus.net/
>
> Email ref: E0106
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

That is a particularly useless and irrelevant response from PlusNet Support when your problem is obviously an authentication issue. Hopefully Adam will get it sorted. You will have to get the interleaving  removed if it has been applied. I guess the support guy never actually read your ticket properly, looks like some feedback is required. Wink
hevans
Grafter

I am not sure what is going on with the issue as the question raised initially has no response shown on it within the support section even though the member centre webpage says that there is a response.
I had an email sent to me, which is OK as I can pick these up on my phone.
If I can log in as my office account then is there any reason why I can't use this until it has been resolvd ?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Sorry for any confusion about the interleaving response, the fault checker picked the issue up as being an intermittent fault due to there being a number of short connections. In that scenario interleaving is usually applied automatically.
I've passed the ticket on to the correct faults ticket pool to be picked up ASAP.
If I can log in as my office account then is there any reason why I can't use this until it has been resolved ?

Not at all, although bear in mind if the office account has a static IP assigned to it this could only be used by one connection to one line at a time.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
hevans
Grafter

Thanks again Adam.
Will see what happens by tomorrow.
Huw.
hevans
Grafter

I am now getting fed up with this issue. I have still had no connection and no further response from Plusnet except a vague message about contacting their suppliers. So I phoned up this morning and was then told again that the fault was with the suppliers. On explaining the issues again, I was told that it would be tested their end. I was phoned back pretty quickly to be fair, and told to reset my router and try to log in again.
No success as my username but able to connect as another user. I phoned them back and have been told that an engineer needs to visit the house, which could now not happen until after christmas, before anything gets re-tested.
I am still at a loss as to why it could be a line or equipment problem at my end if I can successfully connect as another use but not as myself.
I would be grateful if someone could explain the issue to me so that at least I know that I am not wasting time or indeed being unreasonable.
Ironically, two weeks ago I was advising someone not to go to talk talk as a provider and pushed them towards plusnet saying that they had a good service.