cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCTV port fwd with Plusnet Thompson router

Oer26

CCTV port fwd with Plusnet Thompson router

Having trouble communicating with DVR from external (3G or Wifi with mobile).
Read post/youtube on port forwarding and think have sorted that but still no joy from external.
It may be something simple but just can’t think
I have set the DVRs IP (192.xxx.xxx.xxx) as static and using Wifi (to my router) can see the cameras.
Using “Whats my IP” have found routers IP (81.xxx.xxx.xxx).
If I go into the routers settings and port forward 18004 and 9000.
I can see cameras by connecting to either (192.xxx.xxx.xxx) or (81.xxx.xxxx.xxx).
I gather
(192.xxx.xxx.xxx) connects direct onto DVR
(81.xxx.xxx.xxx) being forwarded from router to DVR.
However i assume 81.xxx.xxx.xxx should work from external.
Any ideas????Huh
cheers
8 REPLIES 8
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: CCTV port fwd with Plusnet Thompson router

I would double check the port numbers are correct for the DVR (does it not use port 80?) and that they are actually open using a online checker.
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
Quote from: Oer26

I have set the DVRs IP (192.xxx.xxx.xxx) as static

That may be the problem, IMO the Technicolor router will do port forwarding better if the device obtains it's IP address via DHCP.
Suggest you unassign the PF rules and change to a dynamic IP.
In the routers network settings for the DVR tick "always use the same IP address"
Reboot the DVR so it uses the routers DHCP server and reassign the PF rules.
Check the ports are open with the online checker.
BRABUS
Grafter

What brand of DVR have you got?  I have got quite a bit of experience of this having been through the same grief with mine  Grin
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
Do you have the PN firewall enabled?  It s quite extream in its protection; check it and retest with it disabled.  Note you will need to drop PPP for changes to take effect.
Also note that port forwarding does usually work from within the home network, so testing might prove difficult...
For example, where 81.x.x.x:8080 has been forwarded to 192.y.y.y:8080, connecting to 81.x.x.x:8080 from within the home network is not likely to work from my experience.  To test such functionality, I have resorted to using a 3G connection off my mobie phone.
HTH.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oer26

Thanks for replies I will try this later and see what happens.
I did only change to static after system had automatically obtained address "as i failed to get it to work thought by setting the obtained address as static would prevent it automatically changing)
Hopefully I've just made a school boy error.
For info DVR is a Kguard NS-401 cheap but quite effective
Cheers
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
How did you get on with that?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oer26

Hi again all, sorry for delay
Checked on DVR and under network says client port 09000 and HTTP port 00080
Under Mobile says 18004 (tried to change 0080 but on reboot comes back as 18004)
As first suggested by npr changed to dynamic and then found "always use the same IP address".
So now Have new IP address router sees DVR as new number and DVR says is new number. {so i assume this is good}
Have reset up the port forwarding to forward 9000,0080 (which once entered into router showed as 80-80??) & 18004 as DVR seems to keep this on moble. Checked was all set up in router then did port check as suggested by npr but says "port is closed" on 9000,0080,18004
Disabled firewall as suggested by townman and rechecked but still ports closed.
There seems like quite a few things in the DVR I could start messing about with but not sure if problem is DVR, port forwarding, or problem router-outside.
Any other ideas would be appriciated
Adam if you have the same issue and were looking for a fix "it's not here yet" but will post if i manage to sort it
TBag
Grafter

You have to assign the forwarded ports to DVR's IP address.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Looks like you've made a mistake somewhere. Take TBag's advice and check you've forwarded to the DVR device and not a PC.
Drop the leading zeros use 80 not 00080.
Note sure what you mean by "Under Mobile says 18004 (tried to change 0080 but on reboot comes back as 18004)"
The DVR will use the same port for a mobile as a PC.
Anyway I've taken a few screen shots for port forwarding ports 80 and 9000:
http://npr.me.uk/dvr/
I'll leave that page up for about a week, hope it helps.