cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCGI server and .htaccess

lw93aed

CCGI server and .htaccess

On my website, I use .htaccess together with .htpasswd to restrict page views. The contents of .htaccess is below.
AuthUserFile /share/isp/plusnet/www/pr/<username>/htdocs/<path>/.htpasswd
AuthName "Please Log On"
AuthType Basic
I have set up a wiki on the ccgi server using MediaWiki. Can I use .htaccess to restrict views in the same way, and if so what is the relative path to the ccgi server needed for AuthUserFile?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Andrew
5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: CCGI server and .htaccess

Does the wiki software use php. If so you cannot block access to php files using .htaccess (or using any other method for that matter other than PHP itself).
For the ccgi path, login to the cshell and type pwd than add any directory names to the path given as necessary.
Also explained the the usertools .htaccess tutorial.
lw93aed

Thanks for confirmation, the wiki software does use php so it seems by nature I can't protect pages from view. Of course, wiki software is designed to be open so it's no surprise that blocking pages from view is not part of the functionality.
I love the ease of editing of a wiki, but because it's a family website I wanted to hide some pages (eg. family photos, details of events) from the general public. Seems I will have to find another solution.
Ianwild
Grafter

When I last set-up dokuwiki, I'm sure there was an option to make pages only readable by registered members. I can set it up again and check if I get some time at some point, but maybe someone else has access to a version they can check?
Ian
lw93aed

Ian, thanks for pointing me to DokuWiki, I'll give it a try.
It seems that MediaWiki does have Access Control List functionality, but only in later versions that require PHP v5. Can anyone comment on PlusNet's plans to support this level of PHP?
Thanks, Andrew
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've tried that battle recently - hence my signature.
See http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,5437.0.html and http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?id=290 and add your vote.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)