cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering problems when streaming

mhaffy
Dabbler

Buffering problems when streaming

Over last few days my wife and I have have been experiencing buffering whenever trying to watch streaming content. Overall internet experience also seems poorer.
My current line speed  shown by plusnet is 7.15mb and speed results from following tests as follows;
MyBraodband Speedtest 3788 download 193 upload
UK Steet Stats 6.7mb download 0.2mb upload
Speedtest.net 2.91mb download 0.24mb upload 31ms ping
BBCiplayer test 4.7 streaming speed and green ticks for all types of streaming.
Tried streaming immediately after running all above tests....
Despite all these I could not watch BBCiplayer in HD, Youtube 1080 quality or other streaming sites without continual buffering.
Also SkyGo buffering with 1 bar quality, usually achieves max of 5 with no buffering!
Can normally watch iplayer HD and skygo streaming on HD with no buffering problems.
Both our pc's connected directly to router.
Something seems to have happened recently.......very frustrating as speed tests would seem to indicate all should be ok!

Any advice gratefully received.
Many thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Buffering problems when streaming

Hi mhaffy,
I'm really sorry to hear of these issues. Something certainly isn't right here!
Could you visit http://speedtest.btwholesale.com and run the initial Speed Test as well as 'Further Diagnostics' and attach a screenshot of your results onto this thread please?
That way we can have a good look at the results and we'll be able to advise further.
mhaffy
Dabbler

Thanks for swift feedback. I have just run the test with following results:
Download speed 6.81 mbps
Upload speed 0.37 mbps
Ping Latency 48.75 ms
As speeds seemed ok to me I did not run the further diagnostics.
Hope that this helps......
Have revisited BBCiplayer since resetting router for test and SkyGo.
Iplayer in HD seems ok (only watched briefly) and SkyGo at 4 bars (5 max).....
I normally leave router on at all times.....could simple disconnect/reconnect really have solved problem?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Those speeds seem fine.
So, if you were going to stream BBC iPlayer now, would you just get constant buffering?
mhaffy
Dabbler

Tried what you said and added feedback to my initial reply:
Have revisited BBCiplayer since resetting router for test and SkyGo.
Iplayer in HD seems ok (only watched briefly) and SkyGo at 4 bars (5 max)....
My wife has also visited sites etc she was experiencing problems with and says all seems ok now.....
I normally leave router on at all times.....could simple disconnect/reconnect as part of BTW speedtest procedure really have solved problem?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The resync (restart of your router) may have resolved the issue.
From time to time, your line can become either unstable or the connection rate can lower itself due to external sources of interference. Interference could be caused by work being carried out by Gas/Electric/Water suppliers in the area or Openreach working on someone else's line.
A quick reboot of the connection can request fresh data from the exchange which could push up your connection rate. It's certainly worth keeping an eye on it though and keeping a note if you notice the same thing happening at the same time of day/night continuously.
mhaffy
Dabbler

Many thanks for helping me to resolve issue so promply and for tips on what could have caused the issue. There has been a lot of work going on in our village recently by utilities (particularly water) near us and we are very close to exchange.
Presumably occasional resets are ok and will not affect our line speed settings?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's best to leave the router on as much as possible (as you already do) but the occasional restart won't cause too many issues.
If you feel the need to restart your router for any reason, I would say it's best to limit this to once or twice in a week.
You could start to see problems if the router is reset/restarted multiple times during a single/couple of days.
P.S - You're welcome for the help and support Smiley