cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buck passing?

ponyman1
Dabbler

Buck passing?

I have a problem with gradually decreasing speed. I have now been told that a copper line test has failed and I should contact my telephone provider. I don't have a problem with my voice service but I do ŵith my ADSL. shouldn't PN be getting on to BTW?
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Buck passing?

Hi Ponyman,
Copper Line Test (CLT) failure does normally indicate an issue with the voice side of the line.
Speaking to your voice supplier is generally the best next step.
ponyman1
Dabbler

This is the response from BT retail who are my voice supplier: You need to contact your ISP they are the only people that can help you this is a bt retail customer to customer self help forum and no one here can assist you i am afraid your ISP needs to contact openreach to get your problem resolved
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,
Did BT conduct a line test at all?
Whilst we appreciate your primary fault may a broadband issue, the lines tests we are conducting are finding a voice fault.
Whilst this may seem like buck passing, this is also the nature of the way the service works. The primary service on your line if a voice service, with the broadband if enabled, is overlayed on top. The voice line must be defect free for any secondary services such as broadband to work normally.
The same would apply if you took a Redcare alarm service, in that should it fail due to a voice fault, this must be repaired first.
In the majority of cases, any broadband fault will resolve itself once the fault detected on voice is resolved.
Unfortunately the supplier of secondary services cannot report this fault for you to your voice supplier, or arrange for it to be repaired under the broadband process. Many state this is down to Data Protection issues, which is partially true (we cannot report access problem on your behalf to another provider were the contract exists between you and the supplier, and not us and said supplier). The primary reason is down to EOI (Equivalence of Input), which regulates that BT and other telecommunications providers (voice for broadband) must take services on equal terms from other parts of BT.
This means that one part of BT cannot use another part of BT to take a competitive advantage, simply because they are BT. So an even and fair process must be followed by all.
ponyman1
Dabbler

BT retail have done a test and found a fault! They are doing more testing.