cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser slows - then pages won't load

kevanmai

Browser slows - then pages won't load

I have been having a weird (and infuriating) problem ever since Friday last week which I hope someone can help with.
I have a laptop running Windows 8 connected wirelessly over my home network which has worked perfectly up to now but ever since the weekend I am unable to load pages into IE11 after about 20 minutes. Everything is fine when I first start up the machine but then pages load slower and slower, images stop loading and then pages won't load at all. I have tried Firefox and Chrome also but the problem persists. It also only occurs on the laptop - my main PC (running Windows 7) is fine.
Here is list of what I have tried - none of which have worked:
Cleared cache etc. & reset IE 11
Changed channel on router
Removed McAfee completely (as well as registry entries, as far as I can tell)
Disabled Java
Removed Java completely
Flushed DNS
Plugged laptop directly into router with ethernet cable.
I am at a loss what else to try. Could it be something to do with lack of bandwidth? Why would it suddenly start happening when there has been no problem until Friday?!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Browser slows - then pages won't load

Can you start the Task Manager - or whatever they call it in Win 8 - and see what is happening with memory and CPU usage
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Have you had an (automatic) update for your laptop? It's not unknown (or is that, quite common?) for an update to cause problems* Roll_eyes Shocked

* that is an OS independent statement Cheesy
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
philcecchini
Grafter

Seeing something similar here too.
TBB ping graph shows that its not my PC etc.
Looks like there may be a retrain occurring because my latency changes.
See 4am and just now at 6pm

And a big one Wednesday at 3pm, no one was home.
kevanmai

Quote from: Oldjim
Can you start the Task Manager - or whatever they call it in Win 8 - and see what is happening with memory and CPU usage

Memory and CPU usage look OK - quite low; no sudden spikes as IE slows down.
It is working presently as I have just restarted for the umpteenth time but I have noticed that if I type in a specific URL for some pages, it takes me to Google search results rather than to the page I wanted. If the link to the site found by Google is clicked on, the page won't open!
I am expecting it to seize up any minute  Smiley
kevanmai

Quote from: PeeGee
Have you had an (automatic) update for your laptop? It's not unknown (or is that, quite common?) for an update to cause problems* Roll_eyes Shocked

Phil

My strong suspicion is that it was an update that was downloaded, so I have uninstalled all updates using Ccleaner from the couple of days before everything went wrong but it doesn't seem to have helped.
I might try a system restore and monitor any updates that try and install and see what happens.
I will let you know!
Bookworms
Grafter

I'm having a similar problem, mainly around early evening (peak times, I guess). It's only been happening to a significant extent  over the last few days
Internet pages take progressively longer and longer to load, finally grounding to a halt, then speeds bounce back up to normal again (normal for me being around 5.5 Mb]. Undecided
kevanmai

Quote from: kevanmai
Quote from: PeeGee

Phil

My strong suspicion is that it was an update that was downloaded, so I have uninstalled all updates using Ccleaner from the couple of days before everything went wrong but it doesn't seem to have helped.
I might try a system restore and monitor any updates that try and install and see what happens.
I will let you know!

Just a quick update for anyone else experiencing this problem, after powering off my modem for half an hour and then turning it back on again everything seems to have returned to normal. I saw a fleeting reference to this 'cure' on an obscure forum somewhere and thought I may as well try it. I don't know why it has worked, all I know is it has worked!  Grin
Thank you to everyone that responded.
Bookworms
Grafter

Quote from: kevanmai
Just a quick update for anyone else experiencing this problem, after powering off my modem for half an hour and then turning it back on again everything seems to have returned to normal. I saw a fleeting reference to this 'cure' on an obscure forum somewhere and thought I may as well try it. I don't know why it has worked, all I know is it has worked!  Grin

Oddly enough I did the same and my connection has been ok since. The old 'switch it off then on' solution should have come to me sooner.
I am however, having another slightly strange problem.
Windows is reporting I have no internet access, even though I do.
The windows troubleshooter suggests there's a problem with my ISP log-in.
A quick google throws up other possibilities such as kaspersky misbehaving or windows failing to detect my network card.
Or could it actually be a problem with my (fairly ancient Thompson Gateway) router?