cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband

juliaandy

Broadband

When someone calls me on my landline I lose internet for up to 10 minutes.  Any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Broadband

@juliaandy  Plusnet staff support, like the phone service, is still severely restricted. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

John
juliaandy

Have just given up trying to watch Eurosport because the broadband keeps dropping out.  I had absolutely no joy from BT, regarding noisy line, because I do not have an account with them but with Plusnet they say it is for Plusnet to sort it out.  Can something be done please,

jab1
Legend

@juliaandy My reply to your initial post, if you followed it, would give other customers (and PN staff, if they looked in) a guide as to where your problem(s) are, and enable others to help you.

If we can't see the issues, we can't help.

You won't get any joy from BT - you are not their customer, as they say.

John
juliaandy

A quiet line test was carried out which is why I contacted BT regarding a noisy line.  But they,like you, seem to be intent on passing the buck.  I do not see why a 'quiet line test' is going to enable other customers and PN staff to see where my problem lies.  We have had issues with our local exchange, and infrastructure, being the problem. Everything within the house has been replace within the last 2 years.

jab1
Legend

If you have a noisy line - which will adversely impact your broadband - then follow this link:- https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/ - fully - to report the problem to PN for them to pass to BT.

If sorting the phone-line out does not resolve the problem - which it may well do, then please follow the broadband troubleshooting guide I posted in my initial reply. If we have nothing concrete to look at, other more knowledgable customers will have no chance of helping you. 

FYI - I am not 'passing the buck', rather, I am trying to help us help you. I am not PN staff, merely a customer with a few years IT experience under my belt.

John
juliaandy

My apologies for saying you are passing the buck, but this problem is very frustrating.  I have never come across a fault where an incoming phone call kills the broadband.  All the tests you asked me to carry out seem to be ok. My speed on the speed test is up fairly high, 17+,where before I was lucky if I got 5.

jab1
Legend

No problem - I appreciate these things are frustrating, especially if you are not technically inclined.

As phone problems can be intermittent/hard to pinpoint, have you completed the phone troubleshooter and did it submit a report?

John