cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband without phone

driveconsultant
Grafter

Broadband without phone

I am shortly going to be installing broadband of some kind into a rental house, but don't want to have a phone line. Is there likely to be any change in the requirement to have a phone line in order to have ADSL or is this limitation here to stay? Do PlusNet have any plans to address this issue (such a a rock-bottom line-rental for cases like this)?
As it is I am likely to use cable Internet instead - the house is in a cable area and Virgin Media are able to supply just broadband with no phone line (for £9/month). I would prefer to use PlusNet if possible.
4 REPLIES 4
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Broadband without phone

Unfortunately it's still not possible.
Yet.
The 21CN WBC product does come with the provision of a "wires only" service, which would essentially be just a data-side connection with no phone option.
Whether it will (a) be available come the 'proper' 21CN launch and (b) be supported by ISP's is still undecided however Sad
B.
driveconsultant
Grafter

I looked at the 21CN specs and it said that "ISPs report no demand for naked DSL".
<CYNIC>
Could it be that the ISPs are the same companies who want to charge rent for unused phone lines? As soon as one ISP offers naked DSL then they'll all have to, and they'll lose revenue.
</CYNIC>
I am certain there is a demand for this.
itsme
Grafter

I'm for naked dsl, is the Plusnet Usergroup looking into this?
Heloman
Grafter

Not so long ago I had "naked dsl" without wanting it. My phone line went dead but BB worked fine.
BT said it was a line fault, which took two weeks to fix.
More seriously, my daughter has just been provided with accommodation by her employer, and although internet access is essential there is no need for a telephone landline. Cable is not an option.
There is_ a need for BB without phone.........