cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband very slow today

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

Re: Broadband very slow today

I suggest everyone email a complaint to the CEO Andy Baker and ask for compensation . It really is too easy for companies like Plusnet to keep on failing in providing a service that we are all paying for . I've just emailed him and whoever rings me  tomorrow is going to be given a VERY VERY  hard time because I am soooo annoyed .

olliebean
Dabbler

Something strange is happening here. I just watched a programme on iPlayer on my Roku, and it played fine, with throughput peaking around 9Mbps. But the same programme in my browser plays at much reduced quality, with throughput peaking around 1.5Mbps. Downloads (not p2p*) are struggling to reach 1Mbps. And the speed checker consistently shows download speed around 2.5-2.7Mbps, regardless of whether or not I'm using the connection for streaming or downloading at the same time. So I reckon there must be some shenanigans with traffic management going on.

Definitely not back to normal, anyway.

*p2p, by the way, is running around 3-5Mbps - and the speed checker still registering the same speed even with that and a regular (0.7Mbps) download running simultaneously.

<edit> I guess that was just a slow torrent - I added another just to check, and the speed has topped out at 15Mbps. So it's there. I'm just not being allowed to use it for regular browsing and downloading (or speed checking).

olliebean
Dabbler

I think it may be limiting the available bandwidth per connection. I just used a download manager and was able to get a multi-threaded download running at 19-20Mbps, which is my full connection speed. Torrents run at a decent speed, and they obviously use multiple connections. Possibly some streaming services use multi-threading, which would explain the difference there. Perhaps the BTW speed checker uses two or three simultaneous connections to test the download speed, which would be why it shows better speeds than I'm getting from single-threaded downloads.

Does this sound plausible?

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I seem to be completely back to normal today, 17th September.

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Mine was back to normal last night - this morning we were streaming quite happily BUT the speedtests are still not right. Only getting ~ 9Mb vs 15Mb + before. Still synching at 19378 with a PN profile of 16.8 Mb.

olliebean
Dabbler

Mine was still slow this morning, but I disconnected/reconnected (the internet, not the DSL connection), got a new IP and it seems to be back to normal now.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Over the weekend a small number of customers were experiencing speed issues, this has now been resolved and everyone should see their speeds back to normal.

If any customers are still experiencing issues please let us know and we will investigate. Apologies for any inconvenience caused and for the lack of messaging on our community about this issue. This has now been addressed and again, we're sorry

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
azmina

How about paying a small compensation and in future to advise of customers of any up grades etc.

Vivi-S
Grafter
Fixes: 1

I had the very slow broadband n Saturday 18th September, which resolved by 9pm that evening, however yesterday afternoon, Wednesday 20th September, my internet connection began failing again and going extremely slowly at 0.2mbps again. It does connect for a few minutes sometimes, then drops out again. The phone line is a bit crackly too. I have my phone with Plusnet. When I got through to Customer Service @ Plusnet after waiting 30 minutes, Lily Dudley, a CSC analyst with Plusnet in the Technical Department, said this would be investigated & informed me I might not hear from Plusnet for 72 HOURS while they ran tests. 3 days. Now I have email problems too - I have just tried to email a friend with a Hotmail.com address while connected for a few minutes to the internet before it dropped out again & it wasn't delivered. I got a message back stating the email was undeliverable & part of my IP (Plusnet) network was on a blocked list!! I find waiting 3 days for help unacceptable and would like someone @ Plusnet to contact me sooner to resolve my ongoing technical problems + I have written to Andy Baker, CEO of Plusnet. I never had any problem with Plusnet before & have been with them for years, but I have felt very disappointed & let down regarding this last spate of problems.
Robnor11
Hooked

My speed has dropped again today

Earlier on today it was fine
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Download speeds fine here in CF

olliebean
Dabbler

It's happening again. Speed got very bad around 7:45pm today. Restarted the router to get a new ip and it was fine for a few minutes, then dropped again. The BTW test is showing download speed of 2.09Mbps on an IP Profile of 18.27Mbps (and the current line speed is 18Mb) - so far worse than expected. Was watching Strictly on iPlayer when it happened, iPlayer now refusing to play anything at all.

<update> 9pm, seems to be working at full speed again for now.

salsadude

What is going on, it has been so slow since yesterday???

This is my Speed Test result and it is Ridiculous.. Can someone please fix the problem.