Broadband speed

SteveW66
Dabbler

Broadband speed

Hello

I have just checked my broadband speed and it seems very slow

Download 3.34

Upload 0.3

Am I right in saying it should be around 10?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Broadband speed

@SteveW66 If you are on ADSL, in theory under IDEAL conditions, you could get 21Mb/s, but that is highly unlikely.

What is your normal speed, and what does the BT DSL checker say you should be getting? As I suspect you have a fault please read the following:

Plusnet staff support, like the phone service, is still severely restricted. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

John
SteveW66
Dabbler

Hi

Thanks for the reply

BT DSL checker says I should get 49 - 70.4 Download

and 11.9 -18.2 upload speeds

So something is wrong

I have done the quiet line test and that's ok

Steve

jab1
Legend

@SteveW66 So you are on Fibre, not ADSL? Please confirm.

John
SteveW66
Dabbler

Sorry...No I'm not on fibre...

Am I reading the wrong figures?

Thanks

jab1
Legend

Yes you are - you should be reading the ADSL/ADSL2 figures.

John
SteveW66
Dabbler

Hi

Thanks for the reply

The figures are:

ADSL2   up to 4.5

ADSL max   up to 1.5

It's probably just the area I am in

jab1
Legend

@SteveW66 Sorry for the delayed response, but just to satisfy my curiuosity, could you run this test, preferably posting screenshots, as they give better information:

Result of a BT speedtest from here but only for IP profiles. If you want a full speed check use this https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and then Further    diagnostics for the IP profiles. Please connect to the test socket if you can, this helps us rule out problems with cabling and sockets in your home.

Please run the second link, and be sure to run and report the 'Further diagnostics'.

John
SteveW66
Dabbler

Hi John

Thanks for the reply

I have posted screenshots and it seems like it is acceptable for this area..

Best wishes

Steve

Screenshot (4).pngScreenshot (5).png

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

If you want to look at what speed you should get against what you are getting, running data speed tests is not going to help any, for they can only report what you are actually getting, not what the line is capable of.  Sync speed dictates the line profile, which limits the achievable data speed.  Therefore if the achieved data speed is in the realms of the profile speed, it is deemed "acceptable".

You need a baseline, which is assessed by science (rather than the BTw speed estimate) based on the characteristics of YOUR line.  Sight of your FULL router stats would be helpful please.  Be sure to include

• Actual line speed
  • Max line speed (if given)
  • SNR / SNRM
  • Attenuation <- this is the key figure in determining the line's potential

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SteveW66
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply....

I have tried the quiet line test but not from the test socket.....It does seem to be ok

I'll try your other suggestions next week..

Regards

Steve

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Off topic stuff and collateral damage moved elsewhere.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine