cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed is really all I can get?

Pictureman1
Grafter

Broadband speed is really all I can get?

Have been with Plus Net for about 2 years now, was aware at sign up that due to location 576k was about the speed limit.  Am in a small road of 5 houses and neighbours all the same.  Other properties around (but outside our road) could get 1m but not our road, my house is the first house past the incoming cable junction cover.
Given the stats. attached for my wireless modem/router is th 576k figure realistic, I would like to start making noises about this poor speed but would appreciate some comments from the experts out there before I do so.
DSL Status    Downstream rate          576Kbps
                    Upstream rate                288Kbps
                    Downstream margin      11 db
                    Upstream margin            22db
                    Downstream line Attn.    63
                    Upstream line Attn.        31
I have not responded to the e-mails suggesting an upgrade to "up to 8 Mbs" since I was aware of local limitations, however a neighbour (within our road) now appears to be getting 4Mbs, so with technical advances made over the last year or so should I be able to ask for a service upgrade.
The last time I experienced speed problems the first comment from Tech. Support was to the effect the BT only quoted 576Kbs for my line, is that really so based on these figures or am I being fobbed off and BT do not want to send an engineer out into the field to implement advances which are available?
3 REPLIES 3
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Broadband speed is really all I can get?

You will probably get 1Mbs with ADSL Max (possible a little higher - 1200Kbs or 1300Kbs) but your Downstrean SNR will limit you getting anything higher. You should be able to get 400Kbs uplink speeds with those figures though.
Given your line length (it appears in the region of 6 -> 7Kms from the exchange determined by the 63dB line attenuation) you could have reliability problems on Max but the only way to find out is to try it. PN will switch you back to a fixed 512Kbs line FOC should you have problems.
4Mbs with those stats is not achievable so the person who has those must have a much better quality line (higher DS SNR and lower DS line attenuation)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You can get the BT Wholesale connection estimate for your line from the Samknows website here.
Enter your phone number and postcode and click "Check".  On the page displayed click the BT ADSL button. The estimated connection capability of your line on ADSL max will be displayed together with capability for fixed-speed services.
David
Pictureman1
Grafter

Thank you both for that, those checks show I might get 1Mbs which would be a useful (if not startling)  upgrade if it is achievable, another neighbour has asked his ISP for an upgrade so as that is in train will await the outcome before I proceed, getting them both to run the line speed checker to see what results that gives.
Thanks again.