Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed dropped and phone line noisy

cliver
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Broadband speed dropped and phone line noisy

Once again I have a noisy line and my broadband conn speed has dropped due to SNRM going through the floor.

This happens every few weeks or months. I go through all the steps in the trouble shooter help pages, connect to the master socket and still the same.

The trouble is I know that if I book an engineer visit, by the time the engineer comes out the problem will have dissapeared and all will be well again for a while.

To be honest I don't think it would be any different with any other provider. My line keeps going noisy and that would be the same whoever I was paying for it.

All I want is a consistend service. I don't even need blistering speeds. I normally get around 30MBPS when all is well and that is fine for our needs. I could even put up with slightly lower speeds as long as it was consistent. But, when the problem hits it drops out completely and that is what I can't abide.

How can I resolve this in the ling term?

10 REPLIES 10
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Broadband speed dropped and phone line noisy

cliver
Dabbler

Hi Gel,

I go through all those steps every time this happens. As I say it will be fine for weeks or even months at a time. Then, the noise levels on the line go haywire and the DSL keeps dropping. Talking to plusnet is practically pointless because by the time an engineer gets out to look at it the problem has gone and all is fine so it's NFF. Luckily they never try to charge me.

I'm running  DSL Stats on the line monitoring my modem stats in real time and can see the SNRM throwing a wobbly whenever this happens.

Interestingly it seems to happen when we have heavy rain after a dry spell but that may be a red herring.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @cliver, I'm sorry to hear that you're having phone and broadband issues.

So we can investigate further, can you please raise a fault online by clicking here and then message us back once you've done so? This will allow us to get the fault picked up as soon as possible for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
cliver
Dabbler

Hi Beyhive,

Thanks for picking this up.

I have completed the steps in the troubleshooter. The step that asked me to connect directly to the modem and set up a connection manually failed to connect. I think that was down to a setup and/or username/password issue and not really a good indication for analysis of this problem.

Current status is that my phone line seems to have quietened down. My DSL is still intermittent with the SNRM very unstable at between 0 and 5 dB up and around 6dB down. These figures are much more unstable and lower generally than when the service is working properly.

As I said in my first post above; this issue crops up every once in a while. I can't be sure but it seems to occur when we geet heavy rain after a dry/hot spell. It can happen every few weeks to every few months.

This has been an ongoing problem since before I joined Plusnet. I have had Openreach out several times but when they come out it is always back to normal and no fault found. I sympathise with the engineer as all he can do is act on what he finds on the day. It's just a shame I can't get one here when the problem manifests itself.

I think I may be able to provide historical modem stats if that would be any use to Openreach.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

You're very welcome @cliver,

I will include what you mentioned when raising the fault to Openreach.

I have updated the fault ticket, please click here to view and reply back to my response. Please let me know once you've done it so I can progress the fault for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
cliver
Dabbler

Yesterday 8/5/202 at approx 17:55 my SNRM figures leapt up back to more normal levels 27.2dB up 14.9dB down. Conn speeds are rising slowly up 799KBPS down 32400KBPS. Speed test results are Ping: 10ms, Down: 23.45Mbps, Up: 0.62Mbps. DSL uptime currntly at 14 + hours is more stable than it's been for ages.
My down speeds are almost back to normal. I would expect the up speeds to recover over the next day or so but are quite poor at the moment.
This is following the usual pattern for this fault. Noise after a period or rain improving after a period of dry weather.
I suspect that, if an openreach engineer comes out now they will not be able to find any fault as it has gone away all by itself. This lend credence to my thaughts that it is water ingress soewhere along my copper run to the cab. the only way to trace this would be to put a TDR on the line when the fault is present. This will identify where along the copper run the problem is.
I don't know if there has been an engineer visit booked but I'm not sure that a first level engineer will be able to do anything. Every time they come out they have been very helpful but haven't been able to find any fault.

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @cliver, having checked the line myself this does look to have stabilised over the past day as per the log below:

It may be worth still going ahead with the engineer appointment as per my update on the fault ticket. Feel free to get back to us there. Thanks.

Will
 Plusnet Help Team
cliver
Dabbler

Hi @WillF ,

Thanks for the reply. I have replied on the trouble ticket as well but yes please lets go for an engineer visit. I can be available any time or date.

WillF
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 22

Hi @cliver. That's all booked in as per my email and text. We'll pick this up following the engineer visit.

Will
 Plusnet Help Team
cliver
Dabbler

Update 12/05/2020: OpenReach engineer attended yesterday afternoon and, for the first time his tests failed. So, he did further tests at various points in my copper run to the cab and has found two faults on the run between my house and the bottom of the road. He has escalated this to the next level to lcate the exact position of the faults and expedite repairs.
This bears out my theory of water ingress as at least one of the faukts is in an area where we have had several water mains bursts in the past few years.
Fault still with OpenReach at this time.

I have updated the trouble ticket with this info.