Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed deteriorating

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Broadband speed deteriorating

I would liked to have seen the stats shortly after the supposed Reset. A reset should have turned Off Interleaving. There are no FEC errors on the Downstream, so suggesting Interleaving is Off for that, but there are FECs on the Upstream suggesting it's On for the Upstream.
This seems to be another of the common problems at present with "changes" on 20CN lines which I believe Andy Thompson is chasing BTw about - another one for him to add to his list. It's something to do with PN having to use the eCoPlus system for 20CN whereas it was only for 21CN to start start with, never got to the bottom of exactly why.
Now as far as we can tell, apart from the fact that this connection didn't seem right at the outset, you closeness to the exchange (line attenuation) meant you ought to have connected at 8128 at the outset, or 8096 at worst with Interleaving.
The fact that on a Reset, it's now lower than it was, clearly indicates something amiss. That said, the reasons could be modem/router or exchange (or the line) or maybe Interference. I think the latter is unlikely as the errors are too low to suggest that.
It is worth trying a resync BUT this needs to be done gracefully as we don't especially want DLM going off and turning Interleaving on at this stage or raising the Target SNRM. It doesn't matter that the current SNRM isn't  nearer 6.5, if it resyncs at the same speed or even a bit lower you will still have a 6.5Mbps profile, so nothing is lost.
So you need to log into the 582n, go to the Internet box and click Disconnect. Wait a minute and then power off the 582n. Stay off-line for no less than 10 minutes. Then Power up the 582n, when it's booted, log into it and goto the Internet box and click Connect.
Then post the stats.
btw - this doesn't affect the duration of the 10 day training period.
kbturner
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
...  log into the 582n, go to the Internet box and click Disconnect. Wait a minute and then power off the 582n. Stay off-line for no less than 10 minutes. Then Power up the 582n, when it's booted, log into it and goto the Internet box and click Connect.
Then post the stats.

Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:43
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,776
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 19.18 / 30.84
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.3 / 19.8
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.0 / 19.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 6.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / -
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 1
Anotherone
Champion

Well absolutely no change there then Roll_eyes  What version firmware (Software release) has the TG582n got? You may or may not need to log into it to get that, depending on the version, but it's in the section Technicolor Gateway.
Depending on the answer, I'll make another suggestion.
Edit: Have you done a quiet line test recently?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Good point about the router firmware: I saw a distinct improvement when I upgraded to 10.2.2.B (my router is one without a USB port).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
kbturner
Grafter

What version firmware (Software release) has the TG582n got?

10.2.2.B
Have you done a quiet line test recently?

The silence is still deafening!
Anotherone
Champion

That's eliminated 2 things, boringly. Firmware is OK, if it'd been 8.4.4.J then that may have been different. The variations in Upstream Noise Margin is concerning me a touch, but that can change on a resync depending a bit on cross-talk and as it's only been +/- 1dB I'm not too excited about it at the moment.
Right, at this point I don't thing there's any point raising a fault because we haven't done one or the pre-requsites yet and in any event BTw are extremely unlikely to look at it whilst there's a training period in progress.
Have you got or can you borrow another modem/router that you could try, even if it's only for a few hours? It would have to be one that isn't locked to another ISP, or if yours & if locked, we'd have to check whether it could be unlocked.
kbturner
Grafter

Have you got or can you borrow another modem/router that you could try, even if it's only for a few hours?

From my pre-Plusnet days I have a Netgear DG834 v2, not locked to any ISP.  The downside is it's not wireless, but I do have a wireless card on my desktop.  Currently this desktop is normally switched off because I work on the laptop.  However, reverting to the Netgear is do-able, but a bit of a faff ....
What do you hope to achieve by using it?
Anotherone
Champion

Hang on then, there's some other checks we can do first. How are you connected at the moment  - on your laptop wirelessly I'm deducing?
How easy would it be to connect your desktop by ethernet for a short while?
kbturner
Grafter

How are you connected at the moment  - on your laptop wirelessly I'm deducing?

Correct!
How easy would it be to connect your desktop by ethernet for a short while?

Easy-peasy - just switch it on!  What I used to do a lot was talk wirelessly to the desktop from the laptop via Remote Desktop Connection.
Anotherone
Champion

OK then can you monitor your stats, paying attention to the SNRM figures especially, and switch on your desktop and see if any figures change. When it's finished booting etc. Monitor the stats on the desktop, and then switch off the laptop and see if any figures change.
Having noted that, then turn off the 582n wireless and see if any of the figures change.
Post any stats as and when if you see any changes., and post stats at the end anyway.
Edit: oh and unplug any Laptop PSU from the mains as well and note any change.
kbturner
Grafter

turn off the 582n wireless and see if any of the figures change

I'm not sure how to turn off the wireless - is it Home Network > Interfaces > WLAN:PlusnetWirelessXXXXX then uncheck the WLAN enable box?
Anotherone
Champion

Indeed that will definitely do it. There's also a button on top of the 582n front right marked WiFi (not the WPS one) that can also be used. But IIRC when you do it through the Interface, you have to go back there to turn it on again.
kbturner
Grafter

OK, the results are attached.
Anotherone
Champion

Well, apart from the downstream sync speed (bandwidth) that we've been discussing as not being right for the attenuation, the stats are absolutely fine, excellent, no unexpected changes. No FEC errors (Interleavng off), an average of just under 4 CRC & ES errors per hour and just under 10 HEC errors per hour. For a non-interleaved line, that's brilliant. You may as well go back to your normal arrangement now.
Bearing in mind the line is still in training following the reset, I think I would be inclined to leave things alone for a couple of days and just post back some stats periodically. DLM may try altering the speed/SNRM during the training time, but that's by no means certain, and in any event is usually determined by the errors, well you have hardly got any.
You asked earlier what using your Netgear would achieve. Well if things remain pretty much as they are for the next couple of days, then I'd be inclined to suggest using the disconnect method and go off-line. After about 15 minutes put your Netgear on Line and monitor it's stats from your desktop for say an hour or so. If the Netgear syncs at 8128, and depending on the other stats, it would suggest that the 582n is faulty.
Post stats from the Netgear, and after an hour or so, just pull the mains plug (no means of dropping the PPP on that one IIRC) leave it for a couple of minutes, then remove it from the line.
Stay off-line for 15 minutes or so, then go back on line with the 582n. Log in and click Connect. Report new stats.
Ask away if you have any questions.
kbturner
Grafter

You may as well go back to your normal arrangement now.

I've already done that.
I would be inclined to leave things alone for a couple of days and just post back some stats periodically.

OK, I'll do that