cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband soooo slooooooow 26kbs

Mozzie101

Broadband soooo slooooooow 26kbs

I was really unfortunate to end up with Plusnet after NewCall went into liquidation. Broadband is usually a blistering 23 to 24kbs and can take 30 to 40 minutes to load some pages. Cancelled all the streaming services cause they will not even connect. And broadband has spent most of the time 'off'.

Have tried New ADSL filters etc. Connected direct (ie not WiFi) but usually resort to mobile dongle which generates 2.5mbs.

So far absolute rubbish. And as for 'Our lines are experiencing unprecidented demand' not surprised.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Broadband soooo slooooooow 26kbs

@Mozzie101 Welcome to the forums.

To help the knowledgeable people on here help you, have you checked and run through the 'ADSL speed faults sticky towards the top of this board?

@Gandalf - Any ideas?

John
Axis1987

I am having similar problems, and fully sympathise with your frustrations.   In fairness to Plusnet, when I joined 13 months ago, broadband until recently was solidly reliable.  However, over the last 2 months, service has seriously deteriorated and become much more intermittent. There were drops in speed for a 1 - 2 hours, which would lead to frequent disconnections. 

The problem has become much more serious this weekend.  During the last Friday and Saturday nights, speed has dropped from 8.45kps to 0.16kps.  I have had no broadband service from 10.00 pm until 8.00 am over both days.

I did call the Helpline yesterday and there is indeed a wait of 45 minutes. We went through checks of my 'phone line and router connections.  Everything seemed in good order.   By that time of course, my broadband was working normally, so the Advisor concluded there were no faults and that my connection was 'very stable'.  He speculated that the cause was 'interference', but there are no devices in my home that could have caused this. Needless to say, Advisors are not available at the very time when you need them - when the faults re-merge!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Chris.

It doesn't look like to be a congestion problem. There seems to have been a physical problem somewhere because your line is banded. This essentially means that the software in the exchange has slowed the speed down coming onto the line.

This was possibly done as a result of the drops you've had last week.

I can remove the banding, however testing your line is detecting a loop condition which is basically a short circuit on the line and this looks to be the underlying issue.

I'd like to retest your line with the test socket exposed, this means removing the faceplate of the master socket, revealing a new socket to the bottom right hand corner and will help us narrow down where the problem lies.

-Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mozzie101

Hi, Thanks for the information.

I'll get an engineer to try a new socket and or text existing one. And I'll let you know what he finds (if anything).

Chris

Mozzie101

Unfortunately still waiting for engineer. However it has taken me about 10 minutes to log into email and 3 minutes to load this. Weird never had any problems with previous provider. I shall use mifi, and wait for contract to expire. I did think that contracts were two way.

More fool me.

Chris

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear that Chris.

Have you reported a fault to us? If not, you can do that online at http://faults.plus.net

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mozzie101

Hi,

Not sure why, but suddenly broadband speed is great, wonderful etc. Many thanks if you've done something. If not maybe Santa made my daughters' dreams come true.

Thanks again

Chris

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Great to hear Chris! Let us know if there's anything else you need moving forwards. - Benj